BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm trying my best to wait patiently for the weekend to arrive, so I can get the tires mounted and balanced on the now restored rims.
So far I'm only averaging only marginally successful with the patient part...
Lol

They say idle hands are the devils playthings, so rather than sit around waiting for the days to tick by, I figured it would be best to find something to occupy my time.

I dug out some Testors gloss black enamel and a fine brush tonight from my model supplies that I haven't touched in about a zillion years. Decided to do a little detail work, and repaint the rocket logos on the center caps. Some lacquer thinner and trusty Q-tips cleaned up the edges where I got a little shaky.

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

I originally wanted to paint them to match my already "customized" fender badges...

IMG_2482.JPG

...but with the way the rockets are inset opposite to the fender ones, it wasn't possible. Oh well. I think they turned out pretty well nonetheless.
Now only two more days to go...
:)

Reactions: 5 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I'm trying my best to wait patiently for the weekend to arrive, so I can get the tires mounted and balanced on the now restored rims.
So far I'm only averaging only marginally successful with the patient part...
Lol

They say idle hands are the devils playthings, so rather than sit around waiting for the days to tick by, I figured it would be best to find something to occupy my time.

I dug out some Testors gloss black enamel and a fine brush tonight from my model supplies that I haven't touched in about a zillion years. Decided to do a little detail work, and repaint the rocket logos on the center caps. Some lacquer thinner and trusty Q-tips cleaned up the edges where I got a little shaky.

View attachment 66327

View attachment 66329

View attachment 66328

I originally wanted to paint them to match my already "customized" fender badges...

View attachment 66332

...but with the way the rockets are inset opposite to the fender ones, it wasn't possible. Oh well. I think they turned out pretty well nonetheless.
Now only two more days to go...
:)
This hole project is coming out awesome! Really nice work I like it

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

sportriderOK

Greasemonkey
Mar 3, 2016
Mannford, OK
Can I bug you for the source of your lug nuts? I've been looking for a nut like that for my Monte wheels.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks! Your wheels look flippin awesome!

Lol
Those aren't his wheels, they're mine. But thank you!
;)

Can I bug you for the source of your lug nuts? I've been looking for a nut like that for my Monte wheels.

Sure, I don't mind at all, but I'm not sure it'll help you much. Oklahoma is a long ways away from here!
Lol
I sourced them from a local supplier here in my city, called Canadian Wheel.

http://www.canadianwheel.com/

I'm not sure if they ship or not, but it may be worth a try.
If all else fails and you can't find them local to you, PM me with your details and I could pick up another set and ship em to ya. Just an option.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I promised y'all an update with pics of the wheels and tires completed and on the car this weekend.
Since it's a long weekend for us up here north of the 49th, it's still technically the weekend. So here we go!

This weekend was filled with highs and lows in respect to the wheels. I was up bright and early Saturday morning, and had the rims and tires dropped off at the tire shop shortly after 10am.

After a little blunder on the tire shops' behalf where they mounted the tires blackwall out (low point), they corrected their mistake, flipped them around, and remounted them RWL out like I had originally requested.
Bit of a low point there. Little did I know it was a sign of things to come...

Fortunately, they were able to adequately balance each wheel using stick on weights on the insides of the rims, rather than the clamp-on lead ones that had caused all the pitting in the aluminum underneath previously.
Bonus, high point there!
Upon going to pay, I was told to have a nice day, they were done all for the low low price of $Free.99!
DEFINITE high point there!
(Guess it pays to take good care of your compressor customers!)
;)

Once back home, I began the process of swapping out the old rims for the new. With the back of the car jacked up and the rear wheels removed, I test fit the new wheel and tire combination with the existing 2" wheel adapters (I had previously installed to help out the look).

This was a no-go.

After confirming with a tape measure what my eyes were telling me, I found that the new combo overlapped the wheel well flange by a solid inch. On a lowered vehicle like Olds Cool, this is just asking for trouble, usually in the form of cut sidewalls.
Low point...

Removing the adapter and bolting up the wheel against the brake drum wasn't the right answer either. Even with the wider tires, the whole thing still sat too far inboard for my liking. Yet another low point.
Time to jump in the truck, and head for the speed shop.

A high speed run there and back, and about an hour later, I had a set of 1" adapters to replace the 2" ones. Placing the 1" adapters over the wheel studs was rewarded with a disheartening reality:
The axel flange studs were 1/8-3/16" too long, protruding past the adapter. DEFINITE low point there.
Out came the cutoff wheel on the die grinder, and all 10 studs were carefully shortened. Finally, everything fit as desired.

All this nonsense finally behind me, I could finally move on with getting the damn wheels on. All the proper lug nuts I had sourced out fit and functioned as intended, with the exception of one. Something in the threads was screwed up or damaged, and it would not for the life of me go on. A look through my tap and die set was unsuccessful as well, I did not have the proper pitch and diameter tap to repair the nut.
Low point yet again!

Instead, I improvised and used one of the straight shank lug nuts and double washer deals I had used previously. Good enough until I can repair or replace the bad nut.

Front wheels went on without a hitch, and I was finally able to get the car down on all fours again. Made a quick trip to the car wash to get everything cleaned up and looking good, and finally got my first good look at the end result.

Although they look really good (and a substantial improvement over the old rally's), I was a bit upset to find that the clearcoat I had applied had dulled down the bright silver finish of the raw aluminum areas.
Another disheartening low.
They still look good, they're just quite dark now is all.

IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2493.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG

Not sure if I'm going to redo the silver areas just yet or not, I might give it a bit and see if it grows on me. Thoughts from the members on this?

Probably most importantly of all tho, the car now finally rides, tracks, and handles much better than before. It's firm, stable, and doesn't require as much corrective input nearly as much as before. That right there was reward enough for going through all the work.
High point finally!

Anyways, enough with the commentary.
Today I made a trip out of town, and stopped for a photo op. My apologies, they're not the greatest. The sun was so bright I couldn't see the screen on my phone to tell if it was gonna be a decent picture or not. The car looked a lot better in person to be honest.

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG

IMG_2491.JPG

IMG_2492.JPG

So that's it. There they are, done and on the car.
Thanks for checking back everyone, and please, feel free to share your thoughts and opinions!

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Those wheels look really nice. I hope they are well made unlike a lot of the SSIIIs [that I am replacing in my build]. I literally have 27 oz of weight on one because of the wheel. My new wheels required 4 1/2, just over 2, just less than 2, and just 1/2 oz on one with the RE760s mounted. Now that is well made even if they were NOT well polished before they left US Mags. Don't get me started . . .
And, you have the satisfaction of knowing you didn't spend $3K on yours too . . . :doh:

Great work!

Reactions: 1 user

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Wheels are sick. If I spend as much detail oriented effort on my car collectively as you have on those wheels I'll be golden.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor