BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

sportriderOK

Greasemonkey
Mar 3, 2016
Mannford, OK
Shiny speakers!

Seriously, it looks great. Color always shows the effort you put in more than primer. That gray is going to be awesome with the white, and will make the wheel "accident" look like the perfect plan all along!

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
:respect:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Donovan, the quality of work you've put into getting the channels prepped for paint is top notch! Now that you have color sprayed it really shows the crisp lines and attention to detail!

A huge sigh of relief to have that done and be able to get the glass back in soon. The white looks so clean, and the other color? looks absolutely amazing ;)!!!!

Now you can get back onto the passenger side sail panel and address the remaining rust issues being the pressure is off before the glass is installed!

Well done sir!!!

Scott

Thanks Scott!

You pretty much summed it all up. It's a huge relief and monkey off my back to finally have this portion of it done and out of the way. It feels great to be able to move ahead finally.

I still have a long road to hoe in front of me, but this is a good start.

Thanks for commenting!

Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Great work as always. Makes me feel a bit ashamed for scuffing and spray bombing the various jambs on my Monte... but, just a bit. ;)

But, I am so confused... is there a rendering for the paint scheme?

Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
As always Donovan, the workmanship is outstanding. Obviously you don't plan for the car to be all white moving forward. I'm looking forward to learning what your two-tone plan is. Have you decided to paint the entire car?

Thanks very much Jared!
And my apologies to you and everyone else for the late reply. I had the best of intentions to do so yesterday, but things and time just kinda got away from me.

Yes, I've resigned myself to the fact that nearly the whole car will have to be repainted.
Initially, I was hoping to be able to get away with just repainting the roof and quarters, but this would've necessitated painting the doors as well to adequately blend the colour.
I had planned for adding the second colour and doing a factory style two tone all along, so that would require painting the tops of the doors, fenders, header panel, and all of the hood.
So as you can see, going that route would've required painting 90% of the car anyways. I might as well just do the other 10% while I'm at it.

What my two tone plan is?
Well that's pretty easy really. I want to do something nearly identical to this...

IMG_3037.PNG

...but instead of using the gold (which I've never been a very big fan of, and would clash horribly with the Claret interior), use this...

IMG_3105.JPG

...instead.
The trick (for me anyways) is to put my own spin on it and not make the car into another 442 clone/ripoff. I cannot stand when guys build clones and try to pass them off as something they're not, that is definitely not my intention here. I just like how the factory split the two colours, so why mess with success?

I've already painted the interior accents that used to be woodgrain in a colour very similar to this, as well as the wheels. So they both already match each other. It seemed to me the natural choice for the two tone colour would be something very close to those.

Holding the sprayout card up next to these two items, I think the colour is near perfect!

IMG_3106.JPG

IMG_3107.JPG

I cannot take full credit for selecting just the right colour tho, our friend Scott (InjectedCutty) was instrumental in helping me narrow down and suggest the final colour.

I had been staring at every conceivable shade of grey on cars around town for over a month when Scott suggested Sterling Grey. My boss at work and my next door neighbor both have F150's in this colour, so I was immediately familiar with it. It wasn't until I had a sprayout card done in it and saw it next to and on the car that I knew it was the perfect colour tho.

Scott, I know you're reading this, so a huge THANK YOU for all your help, support and suggestions in nailing down the perfect colour!

Sorry for the long reply Jared, but the full reasoning required a fairly detailed explanation. At least by doing it this way in answer to your questions, you and the rest of the guys here will have an idea of what the master (paint) plan for the car is.

Thanks for continuing to contribute to the thread, I sincerely appreciate your interest in it!

Donovan

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Great work as always. Makes me feel a bit ashamed for scuffing and spray bombing the various jambs on my Monte... but, just a bit. ;)

But, I am so confused... is there a rendering for the paint scheme?

Mike, you posted about 45 seconds before I did...
Lol
Have a look at my reply to Jared, just above yours.

D.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Awesome, top notch as always!

Thank you Jim!
Appreciate it sir!

Beautiful work as always, Mr. D.
You haven't left any stones unturned on this project.
I'm sure you'll be happy to finally get your glass in place.
Keep up the good work my friend. You're an inspiration to us all.

Thanks very much Jack. I always look forward to and value your comments.
I'm well on my way now, but there'll be much more to come, so stay tuned!

Shiny speakers!

Seriously, it looks great. Color always shows the effort you put in more than primer. That gray is going to be awesome with the white, and will make the wheel "accident" look like the perfect plan all along!

THIS ^^^.

You nailed it man, very astute of you!

The whole idea behind choosing the second colour was to pick the right shade that would perfectly tie in together the interior accents, and certainly the wheels.

From the limited first impressions I've been able to sort of see, this grey in the two tone is going to make the wheels really pop and bring it all together!

IMG_3215.JPG

Thanks for the comments!

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor