BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's a good thing that metric sh*t tons are smaller and lighter than standard sh*t tons or you would really have lots of work left to do!! Looks great even to my untrained eye!

Well, I am in Canada, so gotta do as the Canadians do!! (We’re all on the metric system up here for the uninformed....)
Besides the the “metric” reference ties into all the metric fasteners on our cars!
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it...
:LOL:

In all seriousness, thanks very much for the compliment. If it’s starting to look good to even the untrained eye, I must be doing something right!

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dang D! Your killing me.. I wish I knew how to do body work I would have done my own car.. Instead I am here with separation anxiety and its been less than 48 hours....:rolleyes:

Olds Cool is going to be kickass when painted. Can't wait to see! On a side note, not sure if it was mentioned prior. Is the sunroof stock? or did you do that yourself? STOP putting ideas in my head now I want one LOL.

I hear ya Victor!
I’m not sure I could handle having any of my cars in someone else’s hands. I’m waaay too much of a control freak for that!
Lol
Hopefully the shop will knock your paint job outta the park in a reasonable time frame and get it back to you ASAP!

Thanks for the props on the old girl. It’s coming along steadily now, but never fast enough for my liking. I’ve got a really good idea of how she’s gonna look when it’s done, and I can’t wait for the day it comes to reality. And to share my vision for it with you all at the same time.

As for the giant hole in the roof, that is actually factory. It’s one of the few “A” body Cutlasses I’ve seen with a metal topped factory AstroRoof.
Check out the early pics from when I picked it up a couple years back:

036B8F46-7A3D-43A3-ACEE-171726A2824F.jpeg

1ACFED7C-CED5-47A8-8518-1381A26522EC.jpeg

F01674F4-1044-4A3F-AFCB-E0C03587E6A9.jpeg

Ideas entering your head are expressly not my fault...
:twisted:

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well I was comparing it in my mind to when the vinyl top came off

Gotcha.
I thought you were considering that I’d be painting it soon. Unfortunately I’ve still got a wee bit of work to do before that can happen, but it’s steadily getting there.

Compared to what I had to start with...

7FFCE1D9-425D-4AAF-A5E3-6C9014DE9855.jpeg

1C307853-DBDF-4B3C-A1D7-95AE8DD64926.jpeg

D98AAF22-E917-4E02-9E3E-37D78241E219.jpeg

...I’m very pleased with the progress!

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The roof and driver's quarter panel sure look good for the first block session. Great progress!

Thanks Mike!

I’m extremely happy with it so far as well. It’s nice to know that the countless hours of making sure the bodywork underneath was straight and right was all worthwhile. It’s here at this stage that it really starts to pay off.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I hear ya Victor!
I’m not sure I could handle having any of my cars in someone else’s hands. I’m waaay too much of a control freak for that!
Lol
Hopefully the shop will knock your paint job outta the park in a reasonable time frame and get it back to you ASAP!

Thanks for the props on the old girl. It’s coming along steadily now, but never fast enough for my liking. I’ve got a really good idea of how she’s gonna look when it’s done, and I can’t wait for the day it comes to reality. And to share my vision for it with you all at the same time.

As for the giant hole in the roof, that is actually factory. It’s one of the few “A” body Cutlasses I’ve seen with a metal topped factory AstroRoof.

View attachment 87097

View attachment 87098

View attachment 87099

There are few factory sunroof's from those late 70's "A" bodies, never seen a metal top version. Part of the point is to let more light in, not on that one.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I hear ya Victor!
Lol

View attachment 87097

View attachment 87098

View attachment 87099

Ejector Seat! (y)

I have literally never seen one of these prior to this. Even more admirable reason to save the ole girl.:)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
There are few factory sunroof's from those late 70's "A" bodies, never seen a metal top version. Part of the point is to let more light in, not on that one.

Ejector Seat! (y)

I have literally never seen one of these prior to this. Even more admirable reason to save the ole girl.:)

I’m beginning to think the metal top version that’s on my car must be quite rare. I’ve personally never seen another one, as noted they’re usually the glass ones.

Having it solid metal doesn’t bother me one bit, when it’s closed it’s like having standard hardtop roof car, but when it’s open it’s the next best thing to T-tops without all the inherent leakage problems. I could care less about having extra light let in when it’s closed TBH.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I'm with you D, with me being of the ginger persuasion I have got sunburn through a friends sunroof in his Caddy V which he did not think was possible. So all the better of an option to me

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Jack! It’s always nice to have your input on the car.
Attention to detail seems to be my forté, try as I might I just can’t seem to “half *ss” anything. This was supposed to be a quick paint job, get it done in under a year, and yet here I am.
Oh well, I feel it’s time well spent and it’s the hobby I love, so what the hell right?

Mike is his own entity.
Lol
To really understand him, you’d have to meet him in person. Helluva nice guy, salt of the earth type, and a hard worker. No one pushes him as hard as he pushes himself. He’s a lot like me that way.
To get him to slow down and take it easy is about as easy as herding cats!

I want him to ease back into things, so that’s why I put him in charge of stripping the trunk lid. It’s not physical, but helps me out a great deal.
It’s just nice to have him back.
:)
D,
It's hard to imagine how things looked before you got started. For example the rust issues on the top and sail panel areas, and the other areas you found while delving into the body.
I see that you enjoy doing what you're doing....and you do it well. It obviously shows.

Hey, I know you wouldn't push Mike to extremes. I'm sure he knows his limitations and is more than happy to help...I'm just having a little fun with you. :LOL:

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
D,
It's hard to imagine how things looked before you got started. For example the rust issues on the top and sail panel areas, and the other areas you found while delving into the body.
I see that you enjoy doing what you're doing....and you do it well. It obviously shows.

Hey, I know you wouldn't push Mike to extremes. I'm sure he knows his limitations and is more than happy to help...I'm just having a little fun with you. :LOL:

It’s all good Jack!
:)

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor