BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
As others have said Donovan, I'm glad that your friend Mike will be OK. I hope he has a quick recovery.
Nice work on the filler panels! They look really good to me.

Thanks Jeff. Appreciate the compliment sir.
And thanks for the regards to Mike. He’s recovered and back to his old self already and has been chomping at the bit to get rolling again.
To that end, we’ve started up the shared garage time again, starting with his ‘57 last weekend. Today he was over helping out on mine, check out the following update to see what we got done today!

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, the kid gloves came off on the Olds girl in a big way today.

As mentioned above, Mike is recovered and feeling good again, so today he was over logging in time with me on Olds Cool.
I had got the majority of the rework done to the driver’s side quarter extension Saturday night, and when he showed up this morning, I just had a bit left to do to the top of it.

While I was doing that, he grabbed some 80 grit discs and the DA and got started on stripping down all the layers of old paint and primer on the trunk lid. I finished off the extension...

581F9BF3-1A03-43F7-8DE0-AB82EF5B315F.jpeg

...which then led into starting to block out the driver’s side quarter panel with 180 grit.

I had initially wanted to get to reworking the passenger’s side extension after finishing the driver’s side extension, but with Mike working on that side I wanted to stay out of his way. So instead I decided to keep rolling along with blocking primer.

Working from back to front, I methodically blocked out the entire quarter panel...

497A7133-CFE8-4B15-AEBF-052220A80F0F.jpeg

...worked my way up into the sail panel...

0372824E-EC74-4810-884B-28EC99582FE9.jpeg

above the driver’s window, and eventually onto the roof. By the time the dust settled (literally) at the end of the day, I had the entire roof and “A” pillars blocked out as well.

Here’s pics of the roof:

BEB21672-4432-49A0-B9F8-9CF6868F3031.jpeg

3DD01E1F-26E1-4A91-AA2D-2B7BB960DC82.jpeg

5377A7B7-4FC1-4DA5-A96A-BAB046890F21.jpeg

47AF642F-E5A1-4FF0-8D9B-1625EFFF6436.jpeg

The dark areas you see in the photos aren’t low spots, they’re actually slight highs. What you’re seeing is the darker epoxy primer underneath showing through. This is to be expected, and for only the first prime and block session, I’m extremely pleased with how it came out. It’s not perfect, I knew it wouldn’t be, but it’s very damn close.

After I address a half dozen pinholes and take care of the edges, there will only be a couple spots to hit with etch primer on bare metal spots before the next application of high build. Considering the extensive amount of bodywork I’ve done in these areas, I think that’s pretty exceptional really.

The whole time I was block sanding my way into oblivion, Mike stayed focused and busted *ss on the trunk lid. By the end of the day, he had nearly half of it totally stripped down to bare metal:

DBE3B92E-BDC6-455A-A4C7-2463E2BF212F.jpeg

Pretty damn good really when you consider the number of layers of old stuff he had to strip off.

With the entire roof blocked out, I can stop there briefly, shift gears and return to reworking the last extension. Here’s what it currently looks like, all masked up and ready for an application of kitty hair:

2BB7E21D-D442-4065-A6E1-68B042208937.jpeg

Tackling this next will inevitably lead into blocking out the passenger’s side quarter, sail panel etc, so that will finish off the last side nicely.

All in all it was a very rewarding day with us having gotten a lot accomplished.
:)

Thanks for looking in on things everyone. Till next time, keep the shiny side up!

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 14 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well, the kid gloves came off on the Olds girl in a big way today.

As mentioned above, Mike is recovered and feeling good again, so today he was over logging in time with me on Olds Cool.
I had got the majority of the rework done to the driver’s side quarter extension Saturday night, and when he showed up this morning, I just had a bit left to do to the top of it.

While I was doing that, he grabbed some 80 grit discs and the DA and got started on stripping down all the layers of old paint and primer on the trunk lid. I finished off the extension...

View attachment 86961

...which then led into starting to block out the driver’s side quarter panel with 180 grit.

I had initially wanted to get to reworking the passenger’s side extension after finishing the driver’s side extension, but with Mike working on that side I wanted to stay out of his way. So instead I decided to keep rolling along with blocking primer.

Working from back to front, I methodically blocked out the entire quarter panel...

View attachment 86962

...worked my way up into the sail panel...

View attachment 86963

above the driver’s window, and eventually onto the roof. By the time the dust settled (literally) at the end of the day, I had the entire roof and “A” pillars blocked out as well.

Here’s pics of the roof:

View attachment 86964

View attachment 86965

View attachment 86966

View attachment 86967

The dark areas you see in the photos aren’t low spots, they’re actually slight highs. What you’re seeing is the darker epoxy primer underneath showing through. This is to be expected, and for only the first prime and block session, I’m extremely pleased with how it came out. It’s not perfect, I knew it wouldn’t be, but it’s very damn close.

After I address a half dozen pinholes and take care of the edges, there will only be a couple spots to hit with etch primer on bare metal spots before the next application of high build. Considering the extensive amount of bodywork I’ve done in these areas, I think that’s pretty exceptional really.

The whole time I was block sanding my way into oblivion, Mike stayed focused and busted *ss on the trunk lid. By the end of the day, he had nearly half of it totally stripped down to bare metal:

View attachment 86968

Pretty damn good really when you consider the number of layers of old stuff he had to strip off.

With the entire roof blocked out, I can stop there briefly, shift gears and return to reworking the last extension. Here’s what it currently looks like, all masked up and ready for an application of kitty hair:

View attachment 86969

Tackling this next will inevitably lead into blocking out the passenger’s side quarter, sail panel etc, so that will finish off the last side nicely.

All in all it was a very rewarding day with us having gotten a lot accomplished.

Thanks for looking in on things everyone. Till next time, keep the shiny side up!

D.
Somebody's Laing on some paint soon...

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Somebody's Laing on some paint soon...

Lol
Not quite yet Eric!
Still a metric sh*t ton of work left to do. Not to mention replacing the doors, repairing the damaged lower passenger fender, welding up and body working the no longer needed antenna and hood ornament holes, refinishing all the bumper fillers... You get the point.

Still a long ways to go, but it’s getting there.
Making decent progress at least!

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Wow!! Attention to detail is an understatement regarding you, my friend. The body is really coming along nicely. (y)

I'm glad to hear...and see, that Mike is doing better and feeling up to helping you with sanding chores. Now there's motivation. Don't run the poor guy ragged. :wax:

Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
It's a good thing that metric sh*t tons are smaller and lighter than standard sh*t tons or you would really have lots of work left to do!! Looks great even to my untrained eye!

Reactions: 2 users

Slowpoke

G-Body Guru
Dec 23, 2016
Dang D! Your killing me.. I wish I knew how to do body work I would have done my own car.. Instead I am here with separation anxiety and its been less than 48 hours....:rolleyes:

Olds Cool is going to be kickass when painted. Can't wait to see! On a side note, not sure if it was mentioned prior. Is the sunroof stock? or did you do that yourself? STOP putting ideas in my head now I want one LOL.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Lol
Not quite yet Eric!
Still a metric sh*t ton of work left to do. Not to mention replacing the doors, repairing the damaged lower passenger fender, welding up and body working the no longer needed antenna and hood ornament holes, refinishing all the bumper fillers... You get the point.

Still a long ways to go, but it’s getting there.
Making decent progress at least!

Well I was comparing it in my mind to when the vinyl top came off

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
The roof and driver's quarter panel sure look good for the first block session. Great progress!

• Agree

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wow!! Attention to detail is an understatement regarding you, my friend. The body is really coming along nicely. (y)

I'm glad to hear...and see, that Mike is doing better and feeling up to helping you with sanding chores. Now there's motivation. Don't run the poor guy ragged. :wax:

Thanks Jack! It’s always nice to have your input on the car.
Attention to detail seems to be my forté, try as I might I just can’t seem to “half *ss” anything. This was supposed to be a quick paint job, get it done in under a year, and yet here I am.
Oh well, I feel it’s time well spent and it’s the hobby I love, so what the hell right?

Mike is his own entity.
Lol
To really understand him, you’d have to meet him in person. Helluva nice guy, salt of the earth type, and a hard worker. No one pushes him as hard as he pushes himself. He’s a lot like me that way.
To get him to slow down and take it easy is about as easy as herding cats!

I want him to ease back into things, so that’s why I put him in charge of stripping the trunk lid. It’s not physical, but helps me out a great deal.
It’s just nice to have him back.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor