BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Wow guys, I asked for everybody’s opinion and y’all definitely didn’t disappoint! Thank you.

I appreciate each and every suggestion, and am keeping an open mind to most of them. There are a couple I won’t be pursuing however, most notably the use of decals, or having custom badging made. The whole idea with this build is to not deviate too far from what GM originally built, or could’ve/should’ve done. I don’t like decals on cars, to me they’re somewhat cheap and cheesy. No offence.
And custom billet emblems are on the opposite side of that spectrum. Definitely cool, unique and able to be tailor made, but not what came from the factory, and certainly on the expensive side by the time I have them made and shipped here.

No, I’ll be sticking with original GM emblems, even if they’re not from the correct year (like the W-30 ones). The rockets I had always planned on putting back on in their original locations on the fenders, this thought exercise was just to see how they looked with the addition of the Cutlass ones. I will try moving both up to the middle of the sail panels where the 442 emblems went on these cars, but I think the “Cutlass” part of it will look too small and out of place there.

I’m not too sure I’m sold on the idea of moving any/either of the emblems onto the fronts of the doors either, that was mainly a signature of the 81-88 model years. It may be worth a try just for sh*ts and giggles though. So that kinda puts me right back to square one again.

I like Anubis’ idea of using the larger “Cutlass Calais” badging, perhaps on the sail panels, but again I’m trying to make use of what I already have on hand. I’ll have to go through my box of miscellaneous shizz to see if I have any of those emblems, but I kind of doubt I do. Anybody have ones they’d be willing to part with, or that perhaps has some nice condition Calais crests they’d sell??

To address the idea of putting “Cutlass” somewhere on the trunk lid, there is already a small rocket logo and the “Oldsmobile” on the right hand side, plus I’d like there to be the Cutlass identification somewhere on the sides of the car. That way you don’t have to go all the way to the back of the car to find out what it is.

So, yeah. After all that, I’m back to being undecided. Sheesh!
😕
Well fine, I will take my cool custom decal and go home :p
20160729_180617-1.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I like the cleaner look better personally and typically debage all my cars, DDs included. It’s your ride and you should do you, but if you feel you need something, I prefer just the rocket on the fender. The clunky script (if that makes any sense) just doesn’t flow with the cleaned up lines and work you’ve done so far.

Reactions: 6 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Rktpwrd should mess everyone up and put this script on his sail panels....

Calais Supreme Emblem.jpg

Edit: Btw, someone mentioned W-30....the W-30 was the 442 option in 1980. Just so ya know. Donovan put the W-30 emblem where the W-30 decal would normally go. I like the emblem better.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Hey, you know what? I was admiring the GBOTM pic and had a revelation.

You’d be better putting some bumper fillers on it than messing around with badges:LOL::rofl:

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey, you know what? I was admiring the GBOTM pic and had a revelation.

You’d be better putting some bumper fillers on it than messing around with badges:LOL::rofl:

Actually I’m leaving it like that for a while ‘cause I know it irritates Fleming442...
😅

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
G’day everyone!

Been a minute since I’ve updated, life has escalated for me in a big way lately so I haven’t had much time to attend to car related stuff.

After a decade of bachelor life since my divorce in 2010, this past weekend I finally moved my longtime girl and her 19 year old son in with me after we got her house sold. Needless to say, things have been pretty chaotic around ‘ol Rktpwrd’s pad since then. Moving, cleaning, reorganizing, integrating, renting and returning the moving truck, you name it, there’s been a lot on our plates. Literally overnight I’ve gone from rattling around this old place by myself, to having a very full and busy house. Her and her son, plus a big German Shepard and a fat ‘ol friendly cat! Certainly an adjustment period, but not nearly as bad as I thought it might be.
It’s actually quite nice having a full house and the house itself feeling more like a home.

They’ve been here a week and are mostly settled in now, so I’m starting to find a little more free time again. Figured I’d take this opportunity to finally update on the headliner install.

You’ve completed the easy step - installing it without fvcking it up is the real challenge.

Boy, you weren’t just whistling Dixie! The actual installation of the headliner spanned roughly just over two weeks, and required removing and reinstalling it twice, along with copious amounts of cursing and frustration. I’ll expound on this more shortly. The first attempt at installing the headliner was less than successful, and very frustrating to be honest. After I got it up and in place, it didn’t fit very well due to the two little studs that mount the dome light skewing everything else off and putting buckles in the board. You can see one above the passenger side here pretty clearly.

897A5208-2FD7-43CA-8CF5-A892639FEF1C.jpeg

Also, with this headliner board being for an AstroRoof application, there’s really nothing to support the board around the opening. It was sagging pretty badly at the front and sides as seen here:

ED0B8616-2319-4F59-8FC9-D7DBC11BBC5E.jpeg

A closer look at the passenger’s side:

9AD46BBB-774C-48A5-B111-F10EE54BB308.jpeg

It’s a bit difficult to see in this picture because it’s so dark, but there was another buckle manifesting itself a little further back too. The little bit of silver visible is the sound deadening I installed underneath, you obviously shouldn’t be able to see it:

13D16E8F-75B5-469F-B61F-1B10AD8A55C2.jpeg

I also found a pretty major oversight in the holes and cutouts the manufacturer put in it, the large cutouts they provided are definitely supposed to be there, but they are for the coat hooks. Once I had it up and in place, I discovered that they had completely neglected to provide any holes to reinstall the upper seatbelt mounts! They’re supposed to go where my finger is pointing.

5D45B7B8-D0B4-4B04-8395-94AED3C6D6B3.jpeg

Thoroughly disenchanted with the whole thing at this point, I decided that it needed to come back out of the car and some improvements and modifications made. After undoing all the hard work I had done to get it in there, I begrudgingly pulled it back out and compared it very closely to what was left of the original by overlaying it on top of the new one:

0C80922C-E305-41C1-BF8E-2198B45FAB1C.jpeg

As you can see here, the new board is not only missing the holes for the upper seatbelt mounts, but it’s also not formed correctly here. The AstroRoof is an entire assembly that installs to the underside of the roof, and thereby hangs a little lower than non AstroRoof cars, requiring pockets for the seatbelt mounts in the headliner to make up the difference in height. The new board doesn’t even have these moulded in

BD7ECADE-CCB6-4306-A1DF-D3A1556126D2.jpeg

I contacted Highway Stars, the retailer of this board with the glaring oversight, and received a disappointing but not unexpected “thanks for bringing this to our attention, we’ll look into it” response. Thanks guys, really appreciate it FFS.

Also while I had the board out, I realized that I’d also have to add in the hole at the back for the rear taillight fibre optic housing. This was an option on Calais models, so I don’t fault them for not having it punched out on the board:

801E3B8F-ED53-4EC7-B712-36CF376752D7.jpeg

To correct the issue with the dome light studs skewing everything off, I decided to just remove them entirely and use conventional short screws to remount it. This is the dome light area overlaid on the new board. The studs went through the 2 widely spaced holes towards the back:

3A0F922C-C4AC-45FD-A8CD-D317A6B5A8FB.jpeg

I approximated as best I could where the upper seatbelt mount holes needed to be, then carefully cut out the holes with a hole saw and an Olfa knife...

4DA6A1C3-B38F-4EA3-996D-A2DA1EB13705.jpeg

...then drilled a hole for the taillight fibre optic housing with a step bit.

D29DF024-E537-476B-9DC7-FC9D8A4B5959.jpeg

Right side up, with an overall look at the changes so far:

94C8398D-48AA-487A-B75F-1A11E88045FD.jpeg

To address the lack of support around the AstroRoof opening, I picked up some heavy duty industrial strength Velcro. The headliner board did come with a 4’ length of it, but I had already installed it in the middle of the board thinking that that’s where it would need it.

However to install the Velcro around the edges where it DID need it, I first had to trim back the overlapped and glued material on the backside so I’d have nice clean flat spots to attach to. This was a bigger PITA than you’d think, I can attest that the glue holds EXTREMELY well.

Before:

08332102-CEDE-40D7-A8F3-A486EFBF321A.jpeg

And during:

77EEF682-9F99-4852-866E-5EEE176805CA.jpeg

The process was to cut and scrape off as much of the material as possible, then use the shop towel visible in the picture soaked in wax and grease remover to sit on the dried glue to soften it up, then scrape that off. Once that messy job was done, next I cut the Velcro to length and attached them where needed, mainly the sides and front of the opening. No pictures of this because it’s pretty straightforward.

Time for attempt #2 on getting it installed, and pleased to report it went much better this time. Took my time and went about it slowly and methodically, and cleaned up and installed the rest of the interior panels as I went along. One doesn’t really realize it, but there’s a TON of interior components that have to go back in when reinstalling the interior in our cars.
Perimeter trim, sun visors, “A” and “B” pillar trim, upper seatbelt mounts and their covers, coat hooks and their trim, upper and lower rear panels, rear seatbelts and back seat rest, back seat bottom, dome light, and the list goes on.

I also had quite a few electrical components and connections to contend with, the dome light obviously, but also the lighted passenger visor, the AstroRoof switch, and the rear taillight fibre optic cables. All in all though, I think it turned out very well, the Velcro around the perimeter and the elimination of the dome light studs made all the difference in the world. See what you think:

AEF6053A-710F-46FD-947F-8B80334E79C5.jpeg

28261A82-A567-46AE-BB9C-238F08695F48.jpeg

95AF69BE-8E5A-49C6-9EFF-496C430889B0.jpeg

73CC1FA5-5A48-46A3-858D-C096AFB1D7E3.jpeg

3FF2E47F-0FA5-4AA3-8EB6-551DA1623288.jpeg

51B6CE63-7CA5-426F-BA7E-2C9FD00F5937.jpeg

5A962179-0AE5-4ED8-AF12-9C4F8187C70E.jpeg

56F2C86E-E0CE-42F3-AD89-D05CB059AF21.jpeg

47EBC55F-6575-4E9C-B09B-49A40EF14133.jpeg

53B8E56A-671C-439F-BD3F-4E71D082913A.jpeg

This signifies a fairly major milestone in the build, as it’s the first time in 3 years that the complete interior has been installed in the car. The sun visors are looking pretty old and ratty next to the new headliner material now, so getting them professionally recovered with the leftover headliner material over the winter is pretty high on the priority list.

I’ve also got a slight problem with an intermittent electrical connection at the AstroRoof switch that I’ve gotta track down, but that shouldn’t be too hard to fix.

I mentioned a couple of times the rear taillight fibre optic housing, if you guys aren’t familiar with this rare option, here’s what it looks like when it’s installed:

725A4068-4923-456F-BE83-EC7BA92C5343.jpeg

It mounts to the roof just forward of the rear garnish moulding in the back seat area, just above the rear seat passenger’s heads. It’s connected to the taillights via fibre optic cables that run through the inside of the sail panels and through the trunk. When the taillights, brakes or signal lights are applied, they’re able to be monitored through the 2 small red lenses in the housing. It might seem like an odd place to put this housing, until you realize that the driver can clearly see it in the rear view mirror! Pretty cool, albeit a bit gimmicky little option, but it came with the car, and I like it.

Anyways, that’s all I’ve got for you guys for now, hopefully y’all enjoyed the update.

D.

• Winner
  • Wow
Reactions: 26 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor