BUILD THREAD Project Over The Top - Malibu T-Top Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Wow. You're lower than 25" to the fender lip? That's low....
I think I'm at or below 25", I'll measure when I get the front off jackstands in the next week or so. The rear is 26.75" and I know the front is lower.

I do know that I can't fit a 2x4 (3.5") on it's edge under the cross member.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I think I'm at or below 25", I'll measure when I get the front off jackstands in the next week or so. The rear is 26.75" and I know the front is lower.

I do know that I can't fit a 2x4 (3.5") on it's edge under the cross member.
Mine is 22ish @ front wheel opening C/L & ~24ish @ the rear. Like I've mentioned.... Others might 'lower' theirs. My stuff is low.

I put a 3" square steel spacer that I use on frame stuff in front of the car in the parking lot. The x-member pushed it around. But, this is why my 25" tall front tires ate through the plastic inner fender-well tops after about 3k miles & why I found asphalt crumbs scattered/remaining in areas possible. It's dug into the road surface on many occasions. The ride is fine as long as the road surface is.

The set-up was just initial to get it going & eliminate the 'grandma' appearance to more of a 'bad-arse Grand-Pop' vibe. Mission accomplished 101%. Now I'm accumulating the parts for better braking + geometry which will also change the height as part of the plan. The 2" drop spindles go away in exchange for 1" drop. The 25" tall 15" front tires go away in exchange for 25.7" tall 18" tires. The front end should come up an additional 1-1.5" (not quite 1.5" by my calcs so about 4" off the road surface @ the x-member center is my hope). This has been slowed by the necessary installation/modification of taller front wheel tubs. Waiting on spindles now & going to mock up a side to verify dimensions.

superbon54, sorry about muddying up your thread.

Reactions: 1 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Mine is 22ish @ front wheel opening C/L & ~24ish @ the rear. Like I've mentioned.... Others might 'lower' theirs. My stuff is low.

I put a 3" square steel spacer that I use on frame stuff in front of the car in the parking lot. The x-member pushed it around. But, this is why my 25" tall front tires ate through the plastic inner fender-well tops after about 3k miles & why I found asphalt crumbs scattered/remaining in areas possible. It's dug into the road surface on many occasions. The ride is fine as long as the road surface is.

The set-up was just initial to get it going & eliminate the 'grandma' appearance to more of a 'bad-arse Grand-Pop' vibe. Mission accomplished 101%. Now I'm accumulating the parts for better braking + geometry which will also change the height as part of the plan. The 2" drop spindles go away in exchange for 1" drop. The 25" tall 15" front tires go away in exchange for 25.7" tall 18" tires. The front end should come up an additional 1-1.5" (not quite 1.5" by my calcs so about 4" off the road surface @ the x-member center is my hope). This has been slowed by the necessary installation/modification of taller front wheel tubs. Waiting on spindles now & going to mock up a side to verify dimensions.

superbon54, sorry about muddying up your thread.
Haha no problem! It may come in useful in a future search on wheel fitment….

Reactions: 1 user

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Progress started back up today with fitting the digitails into the tail lights. Removing the lenses was not fun. I bet I consumed 50 dremel cut-off wheels and sprayed myself a couple times with molten plastic.

Some big things are coming this weekend…..

FFAF8F3B-C76F-4187-AC6C-7AB653748FDC.jpeg
569D6EF2-19B0-4BAE-BD98-16C493A9954F.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Ran the harness behind the dash this morning. I have 4 cars worth of harnesses in building from so figuring out some of the wires and connections is um…… let’s say fun.

97A1D01B-0D95-41E3-A85E-5AF93B3CF862.jpeg

Also test fitted components to the dash. Just dashes built one off my old core and while the materials and build are high quality, the fitment of stock trim kinda sucks. I had to hog out quite a bit around the radio and hvac controls to get everything to fit. On the plus side, what they did structurally will be much better than factory. With any luck we’ll spray some interior parts tomorrow.

35BC7E4C-9A4D-4916-8743-8894D550E36B.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
74F2A8ED-83F8-444C-A6B6-74EB7A1DE952.jpeg

Sprayed the dash and related components this morning in oxblood. Bought a quart of ready to spray paint from Dixie Restoration Depot and used a little over a half of a pint for these. By the label it’s a custom PPG mix, and I’ve got to say it sprayed out really nice and I would highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Need a little help with this one guys. Where does this connector go to? It’s on the power window harness, drivers side, and has continuity with the spade that goes into the fuse box/bulkhead so it’s hot when the ignition is on. All of the switches and motors are accounted for so I’m stumped……
27DDE0DB-CE8C-4B63-97E8-1E1CABCAC8CF.jpeg

• Wow

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
rear window defogger, power seat? i'll try and check in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor