CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN2678.JPG
DSCN2678.JPG

DSCN2679.JPG

Just a few detail shots of the new/old exhaust system that I am creating for my 85 SS. These first three shots are of the muffler to rear pipe assembly. In third pic you can see the header flanges that I grafted to the tail pipe and the exit tube of the muffler. Not immediately visible is a pipe hanger than supports the whole assembly at the connection. This takes a lot of the stress off the joint. There is a second hanger mounted after the differential near the exit point for the pipe from under the quarter panel. Purists would likely point out that the factory sent the pipes all the way out the back and under the rear bumper. Earlier on in the project, one of things I had to do was replace the rear frame horn on the driver's side from the bumper bracket all the way to the rear kick up. The original rotted out due to a combination of factors not limited to condensation coming off the pipe as it transited the length of the rail. Besides, this is not a 100 point exercise in futility so I get to do it my way.

DSCN2680.JPG

DSCN2681.JPG

These last two shots are of the collector to exhaust pipe reducer assemblies. For those who have kept track of my trials and tribbles, you will recall that these are the set of Flowmasters that I did battle with last winter. They are ceramic coated and have the ball end flange clamps as opposed to the three point triangular units like my old Hedmann's had. The associated reducers have been bushed down to 2.25 inches and to that has now been added a 2.25 x 45 degree pipe bend. As second bend for each is still in the box. When fitted and aligned the two, in tandem, will offset the exhaust pipes toward the drive shaft tunnel; not enough to impair the vertical movement of the shaft, but just far enough inboard to gain some down stream running room. The mufflers have an offset spigot on one end that is intended to line up with the straight section of pipe and complete the system. For the curious, this is not a fresh design of this system. I ran an older version set up the same way when the car had Hedmann's Most of the changes being made are to compensate for the difference in the header design from mfgr to mfgr plus loss due to rot and damage in the old unit. I still have to size and cut the straights and for them a trip to the loft to check a box of exhaust tube is in order. Hopefully there is a length or two up there that I can cut down to length and plug in. For now all the hard connections are only tack welded; easier to adjust than cutting a full pass complete with plug welds. The connection at the in end of the muffler will be a slip joint that will be secured using a DynoMax stepped compression/sleeve clamp instead of the normal guillotine hardware store items.

Nick

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor