CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN2974.JPG

DSCN2978.JPG

DSCN2975.JPG

it's been some time since I've posted directly to the dedicated construction forum so I thought I would post these by way of showing the ready to re-install rear end.

As can be seen from these this first group of three pictures, what has been done is to completely fabricate and shape a new set of rear brake hard lines from 3/16ths stainless steel tube and its related fittings. Unlike normal steel tube, where a double flare is required and the only fitting needed is a basic invert flare nut, stainless is completely different.

For starters the flare itself is different. Unlike soft steel where the flare is both double wall and made to a 45 degree angle, stainless is only a single wall and the angle is 37 degrees. This is sometimes known as an A-N, or Army-Navy angle flare due to it being created by those two branches of the military as a way to standarize lines and fittings during WW II. To support this single wall flare, there is a two part attachment consisting of a ferrule that has the angle of the flare built into it and a gland nut that slips over both. When doing the install, the line flare butts up against its matching shoulder on the adapter or fitting in the wheel cylinder, the ferrule slides up and against it, and the nut slips over both of them and screws into place. The net result is a very secure connection that is both strong and internally well supported.

What appears above is a three shot sequence of the lines as they exit the wheel cylinders and make their way to the distribution block, aka the splitter. Elsewhere there is a short series of shots of what I had to do to modfiy the splitter for height to get it to align with the new lines. The major less endearing quality about stainless is that it is hard to bend and will kink if too tight a curve or radius is attempted.

DSCN2979.JPG

DSCN2980.JPG

Shown here is just the lines as seen from the rear of the differential. As I explained above, Stainless can be hard to bend into tight curves and angles, (and trying to heat the stuff is tricky because too much heat causes it to tear or blow out) so the curves were created to be as tight as possible whlle still following and laying in the track that the steel originals would have used originally. They also pick up the attachment clips or hangers that would have secured the old lines in place. The biggest departure from stock was the points at which both sides jumped off their axle tubes and then proceeded to line up with the splitter. For both sides this alignment is linear; no tight curves or angles as would have been the case with the old steel lines. Having the splitter sitting higher on its mounting tab as it now does removed the need for any heavy twisting and pushing on either line to get them to index against the adapters already screwed into the splitter.

The basic tools for this exercise were a hand held brake line bending tool and a good strong pair of thumbs!! Once the bending tool set the basic curve, the final shaping and tweaking was all a hand driven process with help from my chain link fence posts in a few instances. In the one or two rare instances where more serious persuasion became necessary, the engine of choice was my lightest dead blow hammer; only a pound or so and only where needed to adjust a curve in a tight spot.

All this gives me a rear end that is ready to be re-installed. The actual install is pending; I still have to set my new UMI cross brace up and into position and before that can happen I want to visit the location and get it clean and the paint touched up as needed. At this point the shocks are still mia and no decistion on what to use has been made. Budget?? What budget.

Oh yeah, last minute item of interest..... I GOT MY DOOR SKIN! I GOT MY DOOR SKIN!! I GOT MY DOOR SKIN!!! I GOT MY DOOR SKIN!!!!..................Hee, hee, hee, hee, hee.

Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Nice job Nick!
Just out of curiosity, where did you purchase your stainless line through?
I had at one time been employed by a company that markets pre-bent brake and fuel lines, the stainless tube we used was USA made and annealed so as to allow 45 degree double flare and ease of bending although it would "work harden" if corrective bends were done more than twice.
I had built lines for trailers and trucks of one of the large self moving rental companies, mining vehicle companies as well as many high end chassis builders. I always liked that stainless tube polishes up real nice with little effort.
Beautiful job Nick.

Reactions: 1 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
With a name of Copper Nick I would think you would use NI-Cad copper nickle line!

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Why, Thank You, Sir!! LOL. The line came in bulk and was purchased through my local indie speed shop, so no real idea about its pedigree or source except that it was soft enough to hand bend in a lot of instances where using a lever bender or tube bending tool would have either produced too open or loose a curve or kinked the tube if an attempt to shorten the radius was pursued. Think that the source distributor was All-Star Performance as they were also the source of many of the matching fitings although Russell and Aeroquip factored into that as well.

I faced this issue when I went to create the spiral curves that run from the proportioning valve down to the frame and then go in search of the front calipers. For them, because of both the tight curve, needed due to issues with restricted availablity of space, and the spiral that the old originals had and which I templated from, I found myself looking for heavy wall steel tube in the diameter I needed and using that as an internal"winding bobbin" around which I hand shaped the stainless. Took a couple of tries but I got something finally that I liked and that both did the job and fitted into the pockets and cavities in the frame that had held the old lines. A lot of this falls under the heading of "out of sight, out of mind" and since this ride will never see a car show as a competitor or hood up walk by, all's good under the hood.

And Thank You again for your words of appreciation; they made my day.

Nick

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
When it came to coils like for your master cylinder lines or tighter bends...Exhaust tubing is a great form to use. I had exhaust tube from 1.0-4.0 diameter in my work space that when clamped in a vise worked great for forming coils and tightening bends. Trade secrets? Maybe... but if it helps a fellow motor head it is just passing on knowledge. 👍

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Not a bad idea for a form to use at all. Seem to recall going with heavy wall pipe or tube of some kind because that let me put it in the vise without deforming the shape of it. After that it was just to get the stainless to hold still while I went about the business of wrapping it around pipe enough times that I was happy with it. And, oh yeah, remembering to slip on the ferrule and the nut, the ferrule for sure, because I found that they could hang in the middle of a curve and not make the complete turn without being "encouraged" and get them facing in the correct direction into the bargain. Rigid makes a great tube cutter that comes with a relief in the rollers so you can "clip" a flare without wasting excess material in the process.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor