Project Regress: the LS Orphan Files

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN3631.JPG

DSCN3632.JPG

So I made a Wednesday morning foray into the world of the 8.45 commuters with the intent to do a hit and run on the Supermarket for my weeks victuals before the invasion of the mommies occurred. When I got back to the house I had a surprise sitting on my porch.

DSCN3633.JPG

DSCN3635.JPG

DSCN3636.JPG

So this is my latest and newest bauble, an F-body version water pump that will find its way onto my 5.3 LS orphan motor. The vendor was TRQ and the sale was located on E-Bay. The application spec states it is for a 02-07 Camaro/Corvette base model which matches up to the year of my LS perfectly. The actual price was not all that bad, it was the exchange rate from USD to CDN and the shipping and handling through the Global Shipping facility that bit the big one. Still it did come with the water neck and thermostat included which was not something that I had expected. Mounting this pump will move the upper water neck completely away from the throttle body and make plumbing in the radiator a whole lot simpler when the time comes.

Nick

Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Same pump I used.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Good to hear and know, Thanks for the confirmation. i had posted with the link to this vendor a few pages back with the intent to confirm that what I had found was correct for I wanted to do. No Reply ever did get posted to the best of my knowledge so good to find out that I got it right.

Thanks again,

CopperNick

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I used an AC Delco, but for the same application. 98-02 F body. I did use F body balancer, and ps pump as well

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
"CooperNick" ???? 😕 Waidaminute, lemmee see if he's around to answer this......................... Nope.............sorry, just me. 😮‍💨

So, okay, moving on to the question of the post. Right now the FEAD is a work in progress. The choice of the F-Body pump is about vertical clearance as much as it is about anything else. Having the upper rad port come out the way it does serves two practical purposes. One, it divorces the port away from the throttle body, and two, it offers me more underhood clearance.

I have not progressed to the point of scoring the bracketry for the alternator and the power steering as yet. The project is called "LS Orphan" for a very practical reason; as currently it has no recipient project waiting for it. For one thing, the local salvage yards do not have F-Bodies or 'Vettes as regular guests because they mostly get snapped up by the insurance adjusters and sent to the GTA/Golden Horse-Shoe to be auctioned off, for another, my budget for this is subject to periodic invasions by reality and it can get delayed or deferred in an instant should something more time critical or necessary arise.

But I do keep on plugging away at it. It has become the "alternative project" to pull out and play with when all the others have stalled for lack of time or parts; it keeps my mind busy and engaged. I may have to buy another engine stand as it seems to have taken roots on my old reliable but hey, that is what Harbor Freight is for.

Nick

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
But I do keep on plugging away at it. It has become the "alternative project" to pull out and play with when all the others have stalled for lack of time or parts; it keeps my mind busy and engaged. I may to buy another engine stand as it seems to have taken roots on my old reliable but hey, that is what Harbor Freight is for.

Hey Coopernick (hehe)

I can remember when I thought two stands were enough. Now I have 4 stands and 5 of these :

I do have one empty presently.

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The reason I asked about the truck accessories vs the Fbody ones is if you use a 2010 Camaro water pump (vs LS1) you can keep the truck accessories. The pump is more $$, but the bracketry is easier to get. I did this on my 5.3L swap for throttle body clearence. Then use a 3rd gen Camaro upper rad hose.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
The option is interesting but this motor came minus most of its FEAD components. What it did have was the truck intake and water pump, neither of which were low/short enough in height enough to fit in anything except a truck. And even if this mill did end up in my S-10, I'd still want the overhead clearance that the Car variants can offer.

Ncik

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Not a bad looking stand for the bucks but I do happen to have a MIG welder and access to square tube and angle so making a stand is just a matter of introducing the raw materials to my 4.5 and then to the gun. In fact, I do happen to have a stand chassis already built, it just hasn't been fitted with the correct pedestals for an LS yet. The priority and urgent lists keep getting in the road.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor