Project Regress update: When is a clam not a clam? When it is a shell!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
For those of you who responded to my earlier thread regarding my ongoing motor mount issues, thought I would read you in on something I just learned about a half hour or so ago.

First of all, apparently I should not have been calling the upper half of the late model version of the G-Body engine mount a clam. It is, apparently, termed a "shell" I discovered this fascinating factoid while surfing the latest e-flyer from OPGI. Since I have purchased a few odds and ends from them, I now get to hear about the newest neatest and greatest that they have introduced into their catalogue.

Purely on a whim, I opened the flyer and entered my G-Body specs. One of the sub categories that got returned to me was a listing for performance headers. Okay, let's see what OPG has to offer. That turned out to be two pages of Hedman manufactured products that, according to the captions, were all made to directly fit my year of vehicle. Yeah, right..............

It turned out that my skepticism was justified, EVERY single entry came with a list of qualifications, one of which specifically stated that the product in question could not be installed on a vehicle that used "SHELL" style motor mounts. (OH, yeah, for shell, read clam.) At least a dozen variants on the theme and no exceptions. Different flange thicknesses, different tube diameters, shorties, Black finish, HTC finish, and All of them suitable for installation, provided you had the early version motor mount, or something like what UMI offers, that being a flat mounting plate with a pair of ears on it for the bolt. Most of you have seen the results of my efforts with a 4.5 DeWalt and a combination of razor blade wheel for the initial material removal, and a 60 GR type 29 flap wheel for the rest of the shaping and metal removal. The last bit of finishing was done with a couple of coarse tooth metal files. While mine have been shaved and relieved substantially, they still possess more material in the critical areas than that pro-built UMI product. Again, back to build vs buy. The pair I completed are sitting on the bench and waiting for some chassis paint to give them that last bit of protection and beauty!?!?

So I guess where I am headed with this is in the direction of having to lift the motor, Again!!, slide out the stockers, and slip in my version of motor mount reality if I want to use headers. Apparently, sometime between when I took this car off the road for its rehab, and now, all the manufacturers decided to upgrade their pipe designs for some reason and all the old versions got trashed. Doom On Me. And, since the only benefit to trading the Flowmasters for the Hedman's is the thicker flanges and tubes, which, for what I am doing, that is primarily the street and the highway, may be overkill, I may just retrieve those Flowmasters back from the shop, do the clam swap (Screw 'em, Shells are for shotguns, I like clam better), and use the Flowmasters. At least they are paid for and I do not have to deal with the exercise of arguing with the restocker.

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Oh yeah, total non sequitur but I did manage to discover that I can get complete door skins through my local NAPA Jobber dealer. Not sure of where they are being sourced from; the website for the supplier does not publish that item. And they carry the 3M panel bonder under the full P/N of 08115, but the stuff ain't cheap and the pee-en does not include the applicator gun. For those thinking of this option, do be aware that the jobbers usually only supply to the shops; they don't do retail as a rule. Although I work mostly for myself and not as a retail service provider, I am carried on their customer list as a private shop because I also do specialty repair and rebuild work for a few old timers who know me and the quality of the work I do when I take a project on. (Sorry guys, most of those projects are non G-Body and a few have been older than many of those who call this board home.)

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Re: 3M 08115

There are many applicator guns that will accept that cartridge, if you were in the states, I could loan you one, but shipping into Canada gets pretty expensive on both ends. Maybe a local shop would loan or even rent you one for a few bux?

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
RibbedRoof, I do appreciate the offer. For me, it is about a 1000 miles just to get to the Black Hills of SD. You are about 3 states south of there. Major day?? trip (LOL). When I did that cab job a few years back that was the route we took, buy the adhesive and rent the gun all from the same supplier. Trouble for me here is that my PIC (Partner in Crime) for that job can no longer remember from whom or what shop he picked up the gun and materials. Buying the gun is a cash investment but maybe some outfit like Harbor Freight has them for reasonable $$. Right now I have to shift gears and get going on a fence repair project before it gets too cold to handle the rails and chain link.

Nick

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Evercoat 100815. two-part, fits a standard caulking gun. They have a few options, this number seems to be the most similar to 3m 08115

ex_q75_w550_h550_100815_MAXIMMultiPanel_Cart_WEB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor