BUILD THREAD The Mullet Maurader, The Epic of the LS swapped Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Daily update.

Start out by tweaking the idle and cold start stuff in the tune until I was happy, ended up at 900rpm hot with a nice stable idle and good response to going in and out of gear. Tweaked the timing and fuel on the hot idle and I am almost up to 9 inhg for vacuum. Not bad considering the cam is a tad too big.

Started to mock up the intake plumbing, I had been concerned that I was going to have issues with how close to the NNBS intake throttle body and I was correct. It was a complete no go. So out came the shroud and mechanical fan. The only part of a ford worth anything is now roughed in and is awaiting wiring. Should do just fine. Early 2000s mustang fan, junkyard score. 👍
20190407_182736.jpg

Finished off the afternoon finishing off a few things here and there on the front end. Bolting down the last few spots in the inner fenders, rad support and a few little things here and there. Nothing too exciting.

Progress is progress.

Reactions: 6 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
A few more things done today.

Went to the speed shop and got the necessary items to put intake plumbing and an air filter on the car, finished the high quality fab work on the fan support (thank you for your seal of approval Injectedcutty) and wired it in, works pretty decent. Drops the coolant temp quite well at and idle, feel pretty confident it's going to be more than effective when driving, plus it was $30 so there's that.

20190408_182910.jpg

No, that's not permanent, I didn't want to cut the piping until I finish putting the coolant overflow tanks and a few of the other factory items in so it's only done once.

She's also fully insured and registered. Just a few small things to do and she's road legal. 😀👍

Reactions: 8 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Just get it on the road and fix the minor issues/flaws on rainy days/weekends.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
:friday:

Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Got her out for a run tonight.

Rushed through the last few things for reassembly and decided to go for a rip. Got the lockup wiring on, and put the wiring stuff out of the way, tied things up and put the interior back for the front seats.
Put the lights on the drivers rear and threw the plate on.

Took a quick burn around and grabbed a half tank of the good stuff. She's a thirsty girl.

20190409_192123.jpg

Decided it was safe to go a bit further. It was running ok and the tune is pretty mellow so took it out to a back road that has good black top.

Drives really nice, even without a proper alignment it tracked straight, rode surprisingly smooth, handled corners really well (like really!) Felt really good on the shifts (may need to up the line pressure a tad bit I was happy for a cruiser) and at 62mph it rumbles along at 2200rpm. All win!

Maybe do a little pull, just to see.

First off, don't do a pull without starting a data log. Especially the first one.

Anyway, buddy and I were too excited.

Roll in from about 10mph. FLOOR it!!!

Two shifts at 6000 and I'm doing about 85mph. Little hesitation in the middle around 3000-4000rpm but oh boy does she come on after. That.

Look in the rear view ad there's smoke. 😯😯😯.

Pull over to see oil leaking down the back of the block pretty good. Can't see where from but we need to head back asap.

Whip a nut an limp her back home. As I'm coming down my street she starts tapping the lifters just a tad. Shut it off and coast to the driveway.

Now, if you do this be sure not to turn the key back to the lock position, or you will end up sh@tting a coconut, don't ask how I know.

She's home, bleeding and smoking.
20190409_195128.jpg
20190409_195119.jpg
20190409_200003.jpg

Turns out the oil pressure sensor must have taken a dive. Back of the motor is covered, as is the trans, underbelly, diff, driveway, pretty much everything.

Time for a mechanical backup as it always shows 110psi on the Holley. And now my fuel pressure on the dash is showing 100psi but my mechanical gauge shows 41. 😕

Put oil in and she fired up with no adverse noises. Idles nice and smooth, hopefully I didn't cook the bearings.

I'm not sure whether to be happy the car kicks *ss or sad that my motor is hurt. 😕

Mematic_meme_20190409_204918.png

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Hope it's okay.

I probably asked before... but what exhaust did go you with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor