BUILD THREAD The Mullet Maurader, The Epic of the LS swapped Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Primary wiring is essentially done. Battery is in position for mock up and the Proforged steering goodies came in. Got 2 more grounds to put in and I'm in business for the primary side. Then the Holley ECU and the wiring for fans and Nitrous 😀.

I had to make some compromises on the primary power. Putting the battery in the back has me scratching my head for the ground but I think I had a plan. Anyway it's 2/0ga to the Alt from the battery then 4ga to the starter from the alternator. The headers take up a lot of real estate and I would have had to have wires far closer to the headers than I like so this will have to do for now. Probably lucky I had a half spool of big wire.
20190103_203656.jpg

Then the Proforged tie rods and center link went in. These are very nice, I would totally recommend them.
20190103_203628.jpg

Then for fun, tested the starter circuit.

On to the fuel system.

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
'Proof of Life'. I love the metric 140 speedo. That would be cool with a speedo adapter to make it read out in mph.

Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
'Proof of Life'. I love the metric 140 speedo. That would be cool with a speedo adapter to make it read out in mph.
Haha. Proof of life. Exactly. Nothing melted or caught on fire, that was my excitement. As much as I'm pretty good at wiring I'm partially colorblind so it's always an adventure for me. Especially on old faded wiring.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Haha. Proof of life. Exactly. Nothing melted or caught on fire, that was my excitement. As much as I'm pretty good at wiring I'm partially colorblind so it's always an adventure for me. Especially on old faded wiring.

colorblind-bomb-squad_o_779633.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Congrats on the progress. Now get on that fuel. We want to hear it roar to life.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Had a pretty good day all in all. Fuel system is plumbed and fuel tank is mounted. Running the fuel lines wasn't the most fun I've had this week but I learned a lesson about rebuilding order of operations. One -8 ORB fitting away from a potential pressure test. 👍

Also off the checklist is cleaning up the factory under hood wires. Everything marked and ready to put connectors on and loom. 👍

Started finalizing the Holley harness, needed to move a few things around with the sensor placement on my car. Almost done, need an OEM oil pressure and IAT sensor to finish the install on the engine harness. 👍

Now.... The bad.

Topped up the brake reservoir in plans to leave it gravity bleed for a day. Discovered that I didn't fully tighten the banjo bolts on the rear calipers, I'll suck that one up. And I also have a leak on a connection to the rear axle line. On a spot I had to do a butt connection because I screwed up on a flare. It's right above the driver side muffler and behind the control arm mount connection bar. I wanted to adjust the over axle pipe on that side anyway, good reason to now.

Then because I hadn't spilled enough oil on the floor I decided to add some fluid to the trans before I mount the dipstick in a spot that sucks. Yup, gonna need a yoke before I do that again... Dummy...

Gonna hit the wrecker tomorrow and shop for some sensors and a few small things for startup hopefully Monday. 👍👍👍

Reactions: 5 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
So I did hit the pick and pull today, got a few of the last sensors and a nice E-fan from a ford mustang. Got a few future pieces for turbo day and found a donor for a buddy to ls swap his 97 chev shorty stepside. Was a good morning.

Got home and got right after the last of the fuel system. Plugged in the sensors I got from the wrecker, thank you donor 1996 Bonneville.

Fuel pump relay is finished, feed and return lines are done. Just need a 32 spline yoke and she is ready to fill with fuel, set the return pressure and spark it up. 😀

I'll fix the brake line leaks tomorrow and start putting the steering box and body back together. Hopefully be able to get the brakes bled and front end back on.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
still think you'll make the paint deadline? still loving the amount of progress you've made in such a short time!

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
This is a fun one to watch come together.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
still think you'll make the paint deadline? still loving the amount of progress you've made in such a short time!

I think I'll be trailer park style multi colored primer. Lol

Still so much to do, it's gonna be stripped again next winter to clean up body work as I have inner wheel houses to replace and probably notch the frame. This is going to be a evolving, rolling restoration. I have the foundation laid for now, and I won't miss a summer of cruising. The one advantage of the 5 months of Canadian winter.

This is a fun one to watch come together.
Thank you. I'm sure it has a couple more surprises in store for you. 😉

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor