BUILD THREAD The Mullet Maurader, The Epic of the LS swapped Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Progress report:

I ended up getting the drivers side exhaust off, pulled the UMI Connector bar and getting the brake connection tight. I had a heck of a time with the passenger side banjo fitting, Ended up changing the seal rings and now it seems sealed. Loaded up the brake pads and did the old vacuum pump, one man prime up. It is ready for when I have an assistant to final bleed hopefully tomorrow. Decided to leave the exhaust and suspension off until then, just in case.

The brakes ate up more time than expected so I didn't get sheet metal on the front. Got the accessories back on, alternator wired up, a very dirty F41 steering gear that feels like 2 3/4 turn lock to lock, happy with that (if it works, hence why it looks ragged 😉 ). Diff is topped up so I could get a little more oil on the floor, little splash of friction modifier for good measure, the ol' ford 9 wanted 3.8 quarts of royal purple and it DOESN'T leak 😀😀😀.

Going to price out the driveshaft tomorrow at the local driveline shop (the rip off artists) then get a quote from strange engineering. So probably order a strange shaft and billet yoke, just for good measure. Then dump 5 gallons of fuel in and run the pump to set the pressure and get the sheet metal mounted so I can run and mount the NITROUS!!!! 😎

Gratuitous progress pic. Sorry is isn't more exciting.
20190106_194919.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Remember: it is a marathon, not a sprint.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It's a sprint until Wednesday when I go back to work and head north to a mediocre camp for 2 weeks.

If it makes you feel any better I am sitting in a mediocre chair, surrounded by mediocre cubical walls, and working on a mediocre computer. I am going stir-crazy at the speed at which things are not getting done - going to the gym soon just to have control over the progress of something. Happy Monday, everyone!

I'd rather be in my garage...

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
If it makes you feel any better I am sitting in a mediocre chair, surrounded by mediocre cubical walls, and working on a mediocre computer. I am going stir-crazy at the speed at which things are not getting done - going to the gym soon just to have control over the progress of something. Happy Monday, everyone!

I'd rather be in my garage...

Gotta fund the go fast parts somehow. 😉

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Didn't do much yesterday, bled the brakes and pressure tested the system. One fitting was sweating very slightly under pressure so it's been snugged up and is now good, hopefully it will be when I get vacuum on the booster. Pedal gets hard about 1/2 to 1/3 into the stroke, good for LS F body rears and wilwood 6 piston fronts and a 1" MC. It is the Turna RHD S10 MC, totally recommend it for a disc setup.

Today I measured the driveline with the Sonnax 5.5" billet yoke in place, what a beautiful piece of work it is, determined that a 49.375" shaft (center to center) is what I need and ordered it from the local driveline shop, they were very reasonable on price and have a pretty good reputation, we use them at work for our big trucks and pumping units that have about 9000ft/lbs of torque so it should be good.

20190108_152218.jpg

Got the fuel line checked and dumped a can of gas in the tank, turned the key and NO LEAKS! That's 2 in a row for pressure tests! 😀

Set the return pressure for 58psi for the stock L76 injectors and left it pressured up at 48lbs. 4 hours later it's still at 42lbs. So I'm happy.

The FedEx man showed up and dropped off a box of summit goodies.

I'll be flying at it when I get home from work. The driveshaft will be ready so first fireup is on deck asap.

20190108_192051.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What material are you having the driveshaft made out of Duke?
Diameter?
Just curious as I need to have one made up for The Juggernaut when I get back to it. I’m currently thinking 3” or 3 1/2” aluminum, but some extensive tunnel and floor mods are slated, so I may be able to go bigger with those changes and some rework to my driveshaft loop.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
I am limited to 3" by the Hooker exhaust, but it will be more than enough I'm thinking. 0.83 wall DOM steel, spicer HD weld on ends, standard stuff, I'm not launching on a trans brake or with full slicks so general consensus is it'll last with my power goals. For a while anyway.

With your plan for the Juggernaut you might get luck and fit an Fbody shaft, should be close anyway. That would open up some options.

You could always go carbon fiber?! 😀

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I am limited to 3" by the Hooker exhaust, but it will be more than enough I'm thinking. 0.83 wall DOM steel, spicer HD weld on ends, standard stuff, I'm not launching on a trans brake or with full slicks so general consensus is it'll last with my power goals.
Should be plenty with 1350 joints.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
One thing I did not think about before I ordered my 1350 based shaft was "the weight". Ordered a Strange unit and it will work fine but MAN that thing feels like it is 2X the weight of the stock shaft. So, then I hear about these modern aluminum jobs that are just as strong for 1/2 the weight? And I'm sure they are quite proud of them too price wise [haven't looked??]. But, thought I would share BEFORE you buy just in case you are looking to save weight everywhere you can too? In my case, it is down low and more rear biased weight so it helps the front/rear number, just not helping getting 200 lbs off the ole girl number. Not a huge deal, just something to consider . . .

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor