BUILD THREAD The Mullet Maurader, The Epic of the LS swapped Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
One thing I did not think about before I ordered my 1350 based shaft was "the weight". Ordered a Strange unit and it will work fine but MAN that thing feels like it is 2X the weight of the stock shaft. So, then I hear about these modern aluminum jobs that are just as strong for 1/2 the weight? And I'm sure they are quite proud of them too price wise [haven't looked??]. But, thought I would share BEFORE you buy just in case you are looking to save weight everywhere you can too? In my case, it is down low and more rear biased weight so it helps the front/rear number, just not helping getting 200 lbs off the ole girl number. Not a huge deal, just something to consider . . .
If I could have gone with more width i would have probably considered aluminum, and probably a stock chev 3500 shaft from a diesel and just get it cut down to size. Would have been half the price to do that if not less.

New aluminum isn't terrible compared to a custom steel shaft, I think I was like 8-10% more? I'm not too worried about weight, aluminum heads saved me a couple pounds, should even out. 😉

Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Aluminum d-shafts are usually larger diameter (unless carbon fiber reinforced). The one in my Silverado is probably 6", but it's long, too.
Found a 3500 express diesel van at the junkyard that looked like 4", It was an older one, like 2001. You can have them shortened so I figured it might be worth a try, buddy had his half ton done for like $110 US, just a cut, weld and balance job.

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Aluminum d-shafts are usually larger diameter (unless carbon fiber reinforced). The one in my Silverado is probably 6", but it's long, too.
I pulled one out of a Trailblazer for the Cutlass. It's 4" diameter, light as hell and has the correct yoke for the 4L80E. Just need it cut down, new u joints and done.

Reactions: 2 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Learn something every time I log on. Now, I at least know where to go to get one I can afford if I decide the "weight of my shaft" is hurting my track time?
Right now, I'd settle for just "track time" . . . actually just "driving time" would be an improvement :doh:

Purdy soon . . .

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Just got caught up on the build. Awesome progress. I totally approve of the push to get it going and then tweak on it from there.

• Agree

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
  • Haha

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
After 2 weeks on the road for work I came home stoked to get the new driveshaft in and get everything ready for a first fire up.

I made a small error on the order. I could have gone with a 3.5" shaft, after re-reading the exhaust instructions I discovered this. 😡

But it's pretty.
20190124_145218.jpg

Second error was my measuring of the yoke in the center section. Not a 1350. So I need to order a yoke. 😡😡

Disappointment and frustration is abundant right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor