Proper brackets/pulleys when deleting A.C. ? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCKTMN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2014
Hello all,

I have an '88 Cutlass that had a 455 installed by a previous owner. When done, they removed the A.C. compressor (as is usually done). This, of course, leaves me with an awesome case of the belt squeals. My ultimate intention is to run a serpentine system on the 455 (probably the CVF Racing set-up). I will also be installing an aftermarket A.C., as well. But, for now, I would like to do a proper set-up for a non-A.C. Olds V8.
I have seen some vendors selling a 3 piece bracket for the alternator that places it on the passenger side. What I can't find info on, is whether or not the power steering placement changes at all depending on the A.C. option. Also, would I need to change the pulleys to make this work best? If so, which ones should I get? Please note that I have no intention of messing with the engine, as it runs great. So, I would like to get this done keeping the A.C. spec water pump it currently has.
If more info is needed, let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Paul

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I assume you are running the 6" water pump off the 307? I believe only the 5" and 5.6" water pumps were used with non A/C pulleys from the factory. I have used the 6" pump with non A/C brackets. It requires spacing out accessories until the belts line up. Another option is a dual groove power steering pulley. That allows another belt groove to line up and run another belt off the crank pulley. The alternator needs to be driven off the crank pulley with the A/C removed. Also avoid the severely under driven crank pulley, it reduces cooling and charging.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

RCKTMN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2014
olds307 and 403,

I believe the bracket/pulley assemblies are original to the 455. It has a three belt pulley on the water pump, 2 belt in the crank, and single belt pulleys on both the alternator and power steering pump. The rear pulley of the crank and water pump is not being used, as it would have been for the compressor.

Paul

RCKTMN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2014
Olds307 and 403,

Thanks for that link. That chart and info are very helpful.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor