Proper gasket for 2455 headers with the bead around the ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mhael

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2017
Hey everyone,
I have the 2455 chevelle headers on my monte and I recently needed to replace the gaskets. I am having a hell of time getting them to seal up. I am guessing mine are pretty damn old, they have the raised bead around all the ports on the flange and when I was looking at the new 2455's they have a completely smooth machined flange. I tried using some felpro 1410's and the cut outs seem to be too big and the bead isn't contacting the gasket material in the corners, causing some pretty bad leaks. Seems like pretty much every gasket I am seeing is either 1.90x1.85 or 1.88x1.88, the felpros I tried are 1.88x1.88. I was looking around and there are some hooker gaskets 10809hkr that have a 1.85x1.80 cut out, kind of thinking this might be the proper ones but I am not 100% sure...thought I'd ask and see if anyone knows for certain. I have emailed hooker, but I haven't heard back yet. I pulled one of the headers back so I could get a caliper in there and measure the inside opening and they seem to roughly be 1.802x1.794...really wish I would have measured the cutouts on the old gaskets before tossing them in the trash :ROFLMAO:

Thanks

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I assume by raised bead you mean it's a bead of weld that is machined smooth - the same as Sanderson Headers use. If that's the case then use orange high temp silicone.

Reactions: 1 user

Mhael

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2017
I assume by raised bead you mean it's a bead of weld that is machined smooth - the same as Sanderson Headers use. If that's the case then use orange high temp silicone.
Yeah, it's bead of weld around the ports...I don't think I'd go so far as to say it is machined smooth though, definitely nothing as refined as the sanderson's. Might have to go the rtv route if I can't get it sealed up with just a gasket. I'd at least like to find a gasket makes contact with the bead all the way around. Hopefully hear back from hooker next week and see what they say. Probably going to try either the hooker gasket I mentioned or the remflex one since it also has smaller cutouts than the felpro and mr gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor