Proper startup procedure on CCC - Crank, Pump Twice, Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I don't have direct experience with the pre-CCC cars, but I can tell you on mine, it's fairly painless. If it's been sitting for a few days or weeks, there's not much fuel up in the carb, so I give it a brief crank without pumping the pedal. Then with the engine off, I floor the gas pedal twice, and then crank it again, and it usually fires right up at fast idle. I usually let it warm up for a minute or two before taking it off fast idle. I don't know if this is the "correct" procedure on these cars, but seems to work like a charm for me.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there is no fuel injection so shouldn't it start the same as any other quadrajet?, pump the pedal a couple of times and fire it up...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
It should be, pump once, start engine. Any thing else indicates a problem. Float bowl drains down, choke setting, vacuum break/choke pull off adjustment, float setting, etc. there are "in field work arounds", of course. As described above. Or you spend some time and money.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
hell it was about 90 today and I didn't need to pump it at all. key, let it settle down for about 10 seconds, and whammo. off i go.
Granted my engine is pretty far from stock, as is the qjet.

But on my previous engines, I could start that b*tch in the dead of winter with 1 pump. always confused the hell out of my coworkers. this one requires a bit more finesse, but is by and large the same way.

• Winner

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I only share because it cracks me up whenever I hear people saying the old carbureted cars were "so hard to start" but when you see how they started them, they stomp repeatedly on the gas while cranking, which from all I've read, basically floods it.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I only share because it cracks me up whenever I hear people saying the old carbureted cars were "so hard to start" but when you see how they started them, they stomp repeatedly on the gas while cranking, which from all I've read, basically floods it.
Yep. Every ding dong with a carbed car for some reason just assumes you have to pump the ever lovin sh*t out of it to get it to work. "Gee Bill, I wonder why you're accelerator pump went out. Maybe because you put 30,000 miles of wear on it in two weeks?".

I get it if the accel pump is actually terrible, but it will end up starting regardless and if the pump is that bad it effects starting pumping will do little to nothing.

Or they have a sh*t edelbrock and the pumping is a design feature to get the mf to start at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor