Dam H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2023
20230122_145231.jpg
IMG_20211013_212055~3.jpg

Dam H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2023
Rubber Body Fillers were used on late 60s Oldsmobiles & that term carried over & was improperly applied in the 70s.
That is probably why the person who might be in possession of the worlds most expensive 83 / 84 Hurst /Olds Air Dam
(refusal to submit requested pix raises uncertainties , not the fluctuating $3500 - $6000 price) believes them to be a rubber composite , as did I & all my attempts to repair them were misguided using that as my basis..
I plan to explain how thin flexible pieces with complicated forms like the side panels might suffer ill effects in a rectangular box , inadequetly supported for 30+ years & see if better images will be provided.
Co-operation to get images from specific perspectives that would determine the side dams maintained proper form ,
held tolerances & therefore fit every H/O with its original contours is much like repairing those panels while misguided by the common belief , due to incorrect terminology , the material was rubber.
Previous vulcanizing of rubber led me to understand the dam was not rubber...I endured that purgatory with multiple failed attempts.
Not being a huge fan of constant repeated failure , sights were set on an achievable goal & composition was left open yet always under investigation...
Characteristics of flexabilty & resilience of some percetage are in the oem pieces & very little in the 'glass dams.
Working air dams on stock cars earn their worth in very close contact with the track ,
A relatively smooth , flat surface with little deviation....
Roads & driveways are very much different.
Anything below the bumper will most certainly contact something attempting to occupy the same space & displace it.
Fiberglass yields only slightly before it breaks away.
Carbon fiber , a better , more expensive option ,
also has minimal flex before breaking.

My uncle was involved with the space program to the extent that many things he could not talk about at the time .
Anything associated with NASA had to have exceptional performance & be of the highest quality & that also is criteria for parts for my car.

It became apparent that repairing a side dam was not able to be done one or two planes at a time & tooling would be required & doubt I could have accomplished that undertaking without having been a machinist at various mold makers

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Dam H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2023
Rubber Body Fillers were used on late 60s Oldsmobiles & that term carried over & was improperly applied in the 70s.
That is probably why the person who might be in possession of the worlds most expensive 83 / 84 Hurst /Olds Air Dam
(refusal to submit requested pix raises uncertainties , not the fluctuating $3500 - $6000 price) believes them to be a rubber composite , as did I & all my attempts to repair them were misguided using that as my basis..
I plan to explain how thin flexible pieces with complicated forms like the side panels might suffer ill effects in a rectangular box , inadequetly supported for 30+ years & see if better images will be provided.
Co-operation to get images from specific perspectives that would determine the side dams maintained proper for , held tolerances & therefore fit every H/O with its original contours is much like repairing those panels while misguided by the common belief , due to incorrect terminology , the material was rubber.
Previous vulcanizing of rubber led me to understand the dam was not rubber...I endured that purgatory with multiple failed attempts.
Not being a huge fan of constant repeated failure , sights were set on an achievable goal & composition was left open yet always under investigation...
Characteristics of flexabilty & resilience of some percetage are in the oem pieces & very little in the 'glass dams.
Working air dams on stock cars earn their worth in very close contact with the track ,
Anything below the bumper will most certainly contact something attempting to occupy the same space & displace it.

My uncle was involved with the space program to the extent that many things he could not talk about at the time .
Anything associated with NASA had to have exceptional performance & be of the highest quality & that also is criteria for parts for my car
Co-operation to get images from specific perspectives that would determine the side dams maintained proper form, held tolerances & therefore fit every H/O with its original contours is much like repairing those panels while misguided by the common belief , due to incorrect terminology , the material was rubber.

Anything associated with NASA had to have exceptional performance & be of the highest quality & that also is criteria for parts for my cars

Technological advancements allow for a superior material that performs better in the harsh enviroment below the bumper certainly dating previous options that were either prone to tearing ,
Or shattering upon impact.

Attachments

• E73CC96D-4FDE-49B2-83F3-8D133BE5F7E9.jpeg~5.jpg
    E73CC96D-4FDE-49B2-83F3-8D133BE5F7E9.jpeg~5.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20211013_212055~3.jpg
    IMG_20211013_212055~3.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230122_145231.jpg
    20230122_145231.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor