Proportioning valve tool won't go all the way in

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I bought the proportioning valve tool to assist in bleeding my brakes. It does not go all the way into the valve body. In the hole you are able to see a slight chamfer on the plunger/ valve that it appears to be hitting. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20200924_182338.jpg
    IMG_20200924_182338.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20200924_182343.jpg
    IMG_20200924_182343.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20200924_182403.jpg
    IMG_20200924_182403.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 154

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Its not going in all the way because the rod inside the valve has moved one way or the other. It needs to be in the center so the plastic pin will fit into the little hole. Since its out why not just get a new brass one off ebay. Inline Tube sells them under another user name on ebay for way less than their website.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
How do I move it? The little 1/8" diameter plunger on the end goes in and out a little bit but the valve doesn't move

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The plunger thingie on the end doesn't do squat for that center pin. I looked at the picture of yours and it APPEARS your pressure differential valve is somewhat centered. Can't say for sure, but it looks like it. There's a divot area that should line up under that hole. The tool may not be able to seat fully. It doesn't have to as long as the d/p valve is centered and the pin goes all the way down to touch the center skinny section. The idea is the pin just keeps the d/p valve from moving when bleeding them. If it moves off center, you're f***d. There's only one way to re-center that and that's take the valve apart, which is a PITA. Might as well rebuild it while you're in there and put new seals in it. I've done it and it's not for the faint of heart. Well, there's another way, and that's crossing fingers and doing a hard and fast stomp on the brakes and hopefully the d/p valve will reset. Doesn't always work though. If it does, you can usually "feel" a discernable pop.

Look carefully at yours inside the light switch hole again and see if the valve inside looks like it's centered like it is in the picture below. If it is, screw the tool down until it stops, then bleed dem brakes!

brake-combo-valve.png

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I can see through the hole the pressure differential valve is almost centered. It's just slightly off centered and the tool is hitting the chamfer on one edge preventing it from going all the way in. I wonder if it's close enough???? This valve was rebuilt. I've thought about rebuilding my original one but the only place I can find that sells the parts has not.been able to positively help me identify which parts I need. Where did you source your parts from? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor