Proportioning valve tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutlassKage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2016
I have been working on my brakes this summer. Basically replaced all rear drum parts, new backing plates, front calipers and some lines. And even the master cylinder. Did a bench bleed. It had issues with bleeding all lines as rear was locked due to prop valve piston stuck. After reading articles, the only method that worked was opening the front and rear on the passenger side and stomp the pedal. It worked. My question is should I continue my normal bleed or get that $9 tool? The issue with the tool is that the positioning of the valve makes it a pain to get to. I have a narrow garage and just up on jack stands. I just don’t want it locking again as it was a pain to get right. Thanks for the help.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I bought the tool. Tried it without and had the same issue that you did only mine wouldnt go back. In the end I wound up replacing the proportioning valve anyway. The inside was pretty nasty. Spring was all rusty. Since it was the brakes I didnt mind spending the extra money to make it right.

Reactions: 1 users

CutlassKage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2016
I bought the tool. Tried it without and had the same issue that you did only mine wouldnt go back. In the end I wound up replacing the proportioning valve anyway. The inside was pretty nasty. Spring was all rusty. Since it was the brakes I didnt mind spending the extra money to make it right.

Thanks, it’s really hard to get to with only jack stands. I was hoping that a straight gravity bleed would be the best way to go. I would t think there would be enough pressure to trip the piston.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thanks, it’s really hard to get to with only jack stands. I was hoping that a straight gravity bleed would be the best way to go. I would t think there would be enough pressure to trip the piston.

I did mine on stands. Both cars. I borrowed a air assisted vacuum bleeder from a friend of mine and it was easy with the new valve and tool.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I replaced the complete brake system on my 86' Regal just on stands, I also replaced my proportioning valve with a new brass one from Inlinetube.
It was only around $36

Reactions: 1 users

CutlassKage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2016
Thanks guys. I did get the PV2 instuck, I think (light went off) but how do I know if looking into the port where the tool goes in? Is it the a little recessed inside, copper piston, etc. I really don’t know if it’s actually reset. Also, my rear shoes probably need to be adjusted. Was going to adjust with the adjusting wheel but won’t it self adjust by going in reverse? Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks guys. I did get the PV2 instuck, I think (light went off) but how do I know if looking into the port where the tool goes in? Is it the a little recessed inside, copper piston, etc. I really don’t know if it’s actually reset. Also, my rear shoes probably need to be adjusted. Was going to adjust with the adjusting wheel but won’t it self adjust by going in reverse? Thanks

since you replaced the back brakes recently they should be close to adjustment and they do adjust by backing up and slamming the brakes on.

CutlassKage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2016
Thanks. This forum is great. I’m new to gbodies and learning every day. I did replace the master, bench bled and everything. The booster holds vacuum but did replace the filter and check valve. I am still get a “swoosh” sound with the engine running when I push down the brake pedal. I thought replacing the MC would solve that. I still have some brake (fronts) but just doesn’t sound right. Thoughts?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Was going to adjust with the adjusting wheel but won’t it self adjust by going in reverse
Actually its a two step process, first back up and hit the brakes hard, this will c*ck the kicker lever. Then drive forward and hit the brakes hard again. This will fire the the cocked kicker lever and it will rotate the star wheel.

CutlassKage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2016
Sorry for being a total pain about this prop valve. Never had an issue before. I think my one on the car is seized as I can’t get it centered. I bought the tool but of course it is only good if the prop valve is centered. I have an extra one from a 1980 Regal. But how do you tell if it is centered? Should it look like this or have a deeper divot. I know I can buy a new one for $45. Just asking. Thanks

Attachments

• 3D35BA06-EB13-4BDC-8735-98AF1425A1CA.jpeg
    3D35BA06-EB13-4BDC-8735-98AF1425A1CA.jpeg
    903.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 0D6C1449-92F4-4D3C-89AF-52B7DFB63966.jpeg
    0D6C1449-92F4-4D3C-89AF-52B7DFB63966.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 253
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor