PS Reservoir Return Nipple Rotation-Relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingshot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2014
I mounted a serpentine drive to the front of a Gen 1 350 engine. The car also has a Borgeson ps box I installed. The ps return nipple on the reservoir is about 180* from a more favorable location to reach the Borgeson box. I recognized this would be an issue before assembling everything, but was afraid to heat the nipple and cause the reservoir to warp and create a future leak around the rubber gasket. Has anyone heated the nipple and turned it in the reservoir without warping the tin and creating a future leak? Suggestions, advice, experience all welcome. Little issues are keeping me from completing this project.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I mounted a serpentine drive to the front of a Gen 1 350 engine. The car also has a Borgeson ps box I installed. The ps return nipple on the reservoir is about 180* from a more favorable location to reach the Borgeson box. I recognized this would be an issue before assembling everything, but was afraid to heat the nipple and cause the reservoir to warp and create a future leak around the rubber gasket. Has anyone heated the nipple and turned it in the reservoir without warping the tin and creating a future leak? Suggestions, advice, experience all welcome. Little issues are keeping me from completing this project.
The reservoir comes off the pump pretty easy if you want to remove it, modify it and then reinstall.

slingshot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2014
The reservoir comes off the pump pretty easy if you want to remove it, modify it and then reinstall.
Yes, I know how to disassemble the pump, my question is if anyone has heated sufficiently the nipple that appears to be brazed on to change its orientation without warping the reservoir tin.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Yes, I know how to disassemble the pump, my question is if anyone has heated sufficiently the nipple that appears to be brazed on to change its orientation without warping the reservoir tin.
Ok, gotcha. I thought you were worried about the o-ring between the pump and the reservoir. I've never sweated one to rotate it but my thinking is that if the reservoir could stand the heat to fasten the nipple to it, it should be able to stand the heat to modify it.

Reactions: 1 user

slingshot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2014
Ok, gotcha. I thought you were worried about the o-ring between the pump and the reservoir. I've never sweated one to rotate it but my thinking is that if the reservoir could stand the heat to fasten the nipple to it, it should be able to stand the heat to modify it.
Yes, it makes sense that heat in manufacture and heat to modify would have the same effect, but the factory may have a technique I'm not aware of and wondering if anyone has already done this nipple reorientation. It appears I will be trying it, but would find comfort in someone testifying to have successfully done it without tin warpage. And yes, I am concerned about the o-ring seal, more leaks I do not need!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If it goes badly for you, it looks like the reservoirs are available new in a multitude of configurations. I just Googled "Saginaw power steering pump reservoir" and came up with a bunch of results....

Screenshot_20220320-173116_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220320-173052_Samsung Internet.jpg

slingshot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2014
If it goes badly for you, it looks like the reservoirs are available new in a multitude of configurations. I just Googled "Saginaw power steering pump reservoir" and came up with a bunch of results....

View attachment 194691

View attachment 194692
Thanks for this link, but I found a 3/8ths 180* tubing with a .75 radius that will head my nipple in the right direction. It is at www.kegworks.com and cost with shipping $7.45. Not that cost was an issue, but it involves much less work in disassembly and reassembly and you never know if the dimensions are exactly as the factory part. It is the 180* 3/8ths SS line. Thanks for your suggestions, your effort is appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor