PSA- Save your $$ if buying a new Lightning Rods cable 3958079 (357746)

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
In the name of Public Service-

The Lightning Rods used in the 83/84 H/O came with cable 357746. This was a cable originally used in the 77-81 Corvette. They also used a very similar cable in the 68-76 Corvette with p/n 3958079. The factory original cable had 2 ears on the hole gasket retainer, the replacements over the counter had 3. I don't know why.

Now, we all know the 357746 cable is no longer produced for GM, but the word is the 3958079 cable is interchangeable with the 357746. I cannot verify this personally as I've seen no GM reference specifically stating this, but that seems to be the consensus in the Corvette community as well as the aftermarket. ATP Y03 cable is shown as being the same cable for both part numbers, meaning they're interchangeable.

Interestingly, the 3958079 cable is still produced and sold by GM. List price is $96.97. GMpartsdirect will deliver it to my door for $74.92.

You may can get it for less. I've seen Corvette parts supply places trying to sell this very cable for $150 or so, and also saw one on ebay recently for near 150 bucks. Why pay twice for only one part?

Has anyone used this particular cable yet? It's a bit different looking as the built-in hole floor plug looks to be one large rubber donut instead of having a metal flange.

Just throwing it out there so people don't just throw their money in the wind.

I might buy one just to compare.

Back to your regular scheduled programming.

Reactions: 3 users

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I used a b&m shift cable on mine with very minor modifications,it works flawlessly and was 55 bucks at my local parts store but that interesting about that cable

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You may can get it for less. I've seen Corvette parts supply places trying to sell this very cable for $150 or so, and also saw one on ebay recently for near 150 bucks. Why pay twice for only one part?
You answered your own question; I highlighted it for you.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You answered your own question; I highlighted it for you.
Hahha. The LR cable was made for the longest time after production and I'm sure it was because the Corvette used it. Otherwise they'd have discontinued that back in 1987 or so.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor