Puff of white smoke from carb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2019
I had cut off exhaust behind cat converter because it seemed clogged after trying to get this engine back running and had it started to see if it ran any better but it still sputtered when I hit the gas and died when I let off then a white puff of smoke came from the carb what could that be from? Still trying to get the cat off but worried if that could be something else.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there is no need to cut the exhaust pipe after the converter to see if it is plugged. A laser temp gun can tell you if it is clogged. Have you done a tune up on the engine and what condition is the carb in?

Oct 16, 2019
There wasn’t a lot of pressure coming from exhaust very minimal and I was gonna change the exhaust anyway. And I just cleaned the carb, put new wires, plugs and distributor. I have been trying to start it and let it idle to heat up oil so I can drain it but then noticed the exhaust was clogged so I want to make sure exhaust is getting out, it had been sitting for 20 years almost.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I hope you don't mean you still have the 20 year old oil in it. There are certain things you should do with an engine sitting around so long so you don't break seized rings etc before you try to start it

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
I doubt it was white smoke.......it will probably be a whiff of vaporized fuel.....once you have figured out your other issues try it again, if the whiff is still there then you have a leak from the carb into the intake....fix the leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor