Purchased Another -1984 Monte Carlo SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
Hello everyone! I have been a member on the site for a bit but have not been active at all. I own a 1985 Monte Carlo SS that I bought but due to some problems on my end I wasn't able to fix it. While I still have it, I ended up buying a 1984 I saw on Craigslist and could not pass on. It's not perfect, but it has about 46K original miles and has the stock 305HO/350 trans with long tube headers and dual exhaust. Needs weatherstrip re-done, T-Tops leak, and it's a bit moldy from sitting in a garage for years. I plan to get tires and fix the mufflers which sound like they've rotted out from the inside.

I have to run by the Registry to get plates, going to see how it ends up being if I drive it work which is a highway commute. I may be missing overdrive sooner than I think.

cBWHfj3.jpg

PIndVcp.jpg
hZOKrua.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice looking Monte. I'm sure with enough love and attention it will be a sweet ride for sure.
I like the color...and the interior is in great shape. The paint appears to be in good shape as well.
Keep us up to date on your progress.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
Nice looking Monte. I'm sure with enough love and attention it will be a sweet ride for sure.
I like the color...and the interior is in great shape. The paint appears to be in good shape as well.
Keep us up to date on your progress.
Thank you, and absolutely will excited to document my progress this summer. It was repainted by the previous owner many years ago, while it looks good up close there are some issues, the paint is flaking off around both door handles for example. I will take it to a local body shop to get their opinion on it. It's a great starting place though.

Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Nice looking Monte! I always liked that blue colour on these cars. I sometimes wonder why GM never offered a wider range of colours on these cars.
The interior looks like its from an '83 Monte SS. GM did not offer T roofs as an option on the Monte SS until partway through the 1985 model year, because the body shells were being used as bodies for NASCAR stock cars. Only when demand for a T roof option on the Monte SS reached a certain point, did GM begin to offer them as an option on the SS model, which was partway through the '85 model year run.
Have you checked the RPO code label in the trunk for the option codes on your car?

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
Nice looking Monte! I always liked that blue colour on these cars. I sometimes wonder why GM never offered a wider range of colours on these cars.
The interior looks like its from an '83 Monte SS. GM did not offer T roofs as an option on the Monte SS until partway through the 1985 model year, because the body shells were being used as bodies for NASCAR stock cars. Only when demand for a T roof option on the Monte SS reached a certain point, did GM begin to offer them as an option on the SS model, which was partway through the '85 model year run.
Have you checked the RPO code label in the trunk for the option codes on your car?
That is wild, I had no idea. I looked on the trunk to see the interior code but can't find it. Everything I have is "ARL AR9 A01 A31 BV8 BX5 B24 B37 B4V B72 B77 B89 B9K C18 C49 C60 D1D D35 D55 D80 E52 E6E E9Z F41 GU6 JM5 K19 K34 K64 L69 MV MX1 NA5 NB1 NK3 N33 QYH T93 UN9 UP8 US6 U14 U58 U81 V73 YG5 YT9 Z65 1AY 22D 221 229 27L 27U 6DZ 7DZ 8HN 9HN" I know the obvious ones, like F41, GU6, L69 but trying to decode some others.

Sorry for the long list there everyone!

Reactions: 1 user

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
According to the GM parts catalog that I have here, the RPO code for the T roof option should be CC1.
I wonder if it has aftermarket T-Tops then, that's a major bummer.

Edit: When I get home I'll have to dig around for the build sheet and hope it's hidden in the car somewhere. If I have aftermarket t-tops a quick google search reveals I may be out of luck as far as finding parts and seals. I am not sure what to do now.

Last edited:

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The T roofs look factory to me. Maybe others will chime in, who have better T roof knowledge than me. I wonder if the car had a roof swap at some point during its life?

• Agree

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
The T roofs look factory to me. Maybe others will chime in, who have better T roof knowledge than me. I wonder if the car had a roof swap at some point during its life?
If they did that, they could have swapped the roof and then repainted. This is pretty interesting. The second owner, who I bought it from wasn't aware of anything. I ran a carfax but since the car is old I do not think anything like an accident would have been reported anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor