Purchased Hurst Shifter Cable off EBay, having issues....

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
My original cable on my 1979 Hurst Olds seized up and frayed so I ordered one from EBay and I swear I measured it alongside
the OEM and since installing, and they were identical length 30 inches. Now ...I cannot get the transmission to go in to ALL gears.

I either lose PARK or I lose LOW...............

I have connected the cable with the transmission IN PARK, and I lose LOW
if I place the transmission in LOW and connect the cable I lose PARK.
I just tried placing the tranmssion in NEUTRAL and attaching the cable and still no LOW.

Any ideas or suggestions by any one having this issue please post. Thank you. AZ

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Did you try adjusting it at the trans lever? Should be a stud and nut in a slot to make the adjustment.

If the cable will clip in at both ends, the length isn't an issue. Your issue is travel in the cable, which is adjustable

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Did you try adjusting it at the trans lever? Should be a stud and nut in a slot to make the adjustment.

If the cable will clip in at both ends, the length isn't an issue. Your issue is travel in the cable, which is adjustable
I'll revisit the lever and see. Thank you.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just for the record, your original cable p/n should be 22504467 Pioneer makes one CA1150. Don't know the quality or anything on that.

If your replacement cable was for anything else......TOTAL length is important, but it's more important how long it is from retainer clip mounting point to center of the pin holes on both ends and add those two measurements together and compare. If they're the same, I agree it's your adjustment. If not, you may be fighting the futile fight. If they're both 30" in total length, then measure the cable sheath from retainer clip to retainer clip mounting area. If that don't match up, then you'll have an issue because your starting travel point will be off.

Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Just for the record, your original cable p/n should be 22504467 Pioneer makes one CA1150. Don't know the quality or anything on that.

If your replacement cable was for anything else......TOTAL length is important, but it's more important how long it is from retainer clip mounting point to center of the pin holes on both ends and add those two measurements together and compare. If they're the same, I agree it's your adjustment. If not, you may be fighting the futile fight. If they're both 30" in total length, then measure the cable sheath from retainer clip to retainer clip mounting area. If that don't match up, then you'll have an issue because your starting travel point will be off.

Thanks, I know for certain the one rubber boot length is longer at the transmission connection but I thought the CABLE length was the determining factor.
Your post and the one suggestings the pivot ball and clip may have adjustment to it are things I will address tomorrow. Thanks again for your insight.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I have checked my records and it appears the cable sent to me by Pioneer is CA-1102 NOT CA-1150.
I have contacted the shipper hoping to make an exchange. We shall see.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
In other words the 1102 isn’t for your particular application.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
In other words the 1102 isn’t for your particular application.

Your grasp of the obvious is truly a gift:ROFLMAO:........no but EBay's site said it would fit. I already ordered a CA-1150. If I'm under taking the wrong one off may as well put the new one on.....at my age I get under the car as little as needed anymore. The getn down is okay it's the get'n back up that's the killer.:giggle:
Thanks again for the posts(y):D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor