Push button start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
Don't know where to put this so I will put it here for now hot rod magazine is giving away a 70's Camaro as you watch the video on the car and description of it you see they have a push button start in this car my question is has anybody come up with a good solid anti theft push button start for are G bodies today to help on the fact of them getting ripped off and the convenience of possible remote start Is keyless entry, alarms all kinds of stuff with an upgrade of such

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
I'm not sure that I understand your question completely, but I'll attempt to respond:

In general, from what I've learned, "push to start" solutions are mainly for EFI engines. I'm not sure if engines that have had EFI added would work, but I'd assume so.

A quick google search yielded the following results:

I believe Flaming River also sells new columns that you can add Push to Start to.

As far as theft, kill switches can be installed regardless if you have carb or efi.

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
My question was just basically for the purposes of the push button is it more reliable is it more secure if there's no extra security added to it then there's no reason to attempt to put one in but if it has better security as a new vehicle's today do today then it would be an option to do

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
My question was just basically for the purposes of the push button is it more reliable is it more secure if there's no extra security added to it then there's no reason to attempt to put one in but if it has better security as a new vehicle's today do today then it would be an option to do
It’s not what GM intended for our vehicles so I’ll be skipping it. A while ago I saw a Cutlass with a push button start and it was a hack job. Simply adding a push button will reduce security since most modern cars require the presence of a key fob and your foot on the brake before allowing the engine to crank. Modern push button systems also manage accessory power. How would you do that with a momentary switch?

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The push button will not be more reliable. Every time you add another electrical component, then you increase the likelihood of a failure.

A push button start would a nifty/fad type gadget and nothing more IMO. But it would be a neat one.

If I were to add a push button start, then I would eliminate the key from the column. That would be neat and not that difficult, but the steering wheel lock would have to go away as well. But who needs that? I don't believe that the steering wheel lock is deterring any thief in 2022.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Whether or not you use your keys for ignition, always install your kill switch too lmao.

Reactions: 1 user

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
It’s not what GM intended for our vehicles so I’ll be skipping it. A while ago I saw a Cutlass with a push button start and it was a hack job. Simply adding a push button will reduce security since most modern cars require the presence of a key fob and your foot on the brake before allowing the engine to crank. Modern push button systems also manage accessory power. How would you do that with a momentary switch?
That is what I m talking about adding it all key fob foot on the brake all of it not just a button.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
That is what I m talking about adding it all key fob foot on the brake all of it not just a button.
Let’s suppose you use the kit on Amazon. What will you do with your steering column interlock? Where will you mount the switch to make it look like it came from the factory that way. What are you gaining by adding a push button? Personally, I despise hacking up original wiring harnesses with El cheapo alarms. It ruins the car. I’ve removed a few systems like this from cars because they drain the battery. It’s your car though, hack it up if you think it’s cool. My 2 cents. Do you want your wiring to look like this?

20220107_191259.jpg

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The problem with an add on push button start is that it can still be bypassed and hotwired. Its not like the factory push start in modern cars where its so heavily integrated into the computer systrm that it can't be bypassed and hotwired. However, even some OEM push starts can be defeated with a signal booster.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor