Push button start

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA

Let’s suppose you use the kit on Amazon. What will you do with your steering column interlock? Where will you mount the switch to make it look like it came from the factory that way. What are you gaining by adding a push button? Personally, I despise hacking up original wiring harnesses with El cheapo alarms. It ruins the car. I’ve removed a few systems like this from cars because they drain the battery. It’s your car though, hack it up if you think it’s cool. My 2 cents. Do you want your wiring to look like this?

20220107_191259.jpg
That was the kit I had originally looked at, but started to look at other options when my shaved setup would act up. Mine came with the car and is so old they couldn't tell me much about it. Since mine looks like that already I have been thinking of going this route because I would use it as a double safety. They unlock when you are in proximity for me would only then allow a popper button to function which I thought about doing at the same time was the power windows I have laying around

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
My question was just basically for the purposes of the push button is it more reliable is it more secure if there's no extra security added to it then there's no reason to attempt to put one in but if it has better security as a new vehicle's today do today then it would be an option to do
I don't know about Chevy but my wife's Jeep Commando(?) has push button start but it won't start the car unless the key fob is less than about three feet from the column. You have to press the brake too, which I didn't know the first time I drove it to the store. I was stuck in the damn parking lot of the store for almost 20 minutes, till I could get my wife on the phone. She thought it was a riot. (Ha, Ha, Ha)

Last edited:

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
Let’s suppose you use the kit on Amazon. What will you do with your steering column interlock? Where will you mount the switch to make it look like it came from the factory that way. What are you gaining by adding a push button? Personally, I despise hacking up original wiring harnesses with El cheapo alarms. It ruins the car. I’ve removed a few systems like this from cars because they drain the battery. It’s your car though, hack it up if you think it’s cool. My 2 cents. Do you want your wiring to look like this?

20220107_191259.jpg
Oh I m not going to hack it up or put a cheap system in it. I was just asking the question to see if anybody came up with a GOOD and SECURE system to help defeat the thefts trying steal are rides. And yes I know about putting in kill switches.

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Several ideas come to mind.

RFID controlled kill switches, need an RFID reader chip and a microcontroller. Would enable the kill switches when the RFID device was near. For longer range you would need a flat one with the large coil of foil as an antenna. My idea is you would keep the RFID in your wallet and put the reader under the cover for the steering column. It would only start when the RFID was present so even if you left the keys in it it would not start or run.

Other idea is a total power cutoff use a ford type starter relay, wire it to be latching, you could use a switch hidden inside the car or RFID.

Another would be an RKI box and use the trunk signal to enable the kill switches or power cutoff. With the power cutoff you would have to hit the trunk button then you could open the door locks.

Any of this could be done without cutting any of the factory wiring.

With all the 12V smart home stuff this also might be an option.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4030725635...d=link&campid=5335822911&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Don't break or lose your phone on that last one.

Last edited:

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Oh I m not going to hack it up or put a cheap system in it. I was just asking the question to see if anybody came up with a GOOD and SECURE system to help defeat the thefts trying steal are rides. And yes I know about putting in kill switches.
Depends really, if a regular switch doesn't seem like something you'd like, then I would say pull the ign fuse, and hide it in your car or pocket.

Another way, is if you have an electric fuel pump, then disconnect it's power.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On my Regal I installed a master cut off switch under the hood along with installing hood locks.
IMG_20210103_174830129 (2).jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
They sell universal remote control ignition kill switches for kids ATVs that should work for cars.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor