put a turbo 350 trans and my 87 Cutlass 442 stock crossmember will not bolt up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
It has a 72 Olds Cutlass 350 in it fully rebuilt step up from stock Edelbrock intake Edelbrock carb turbo 350 trans with a 2300 stall and 373 rear hope it runs good just put the motor 2 days ago crossmember is holding me up and need exhaust from the motor back it never end lol
Do you still have the original 2004R? If yes, don't get rid of it. Get it rebuilt. That transmission is a special unit built for high power and is like having gold. It's the same Trans as in the Buick GN/ GNX. Only the GNs , the SS Montes and the H/O/ 442s had it. With a good stall converter it will be light years ahead of the TH350 trans and you got OD.
T

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
Do you still have the original 2004R? If yes, don't get rid of it. Get it rebuilt. That transmission is a special unit built for high power and is like having gold. It's the same Trans as in the Buick GN/ GNX. With a good stall converter it will be light years ahead of the TH350 trans. and you got OD.
T
Yes I still have it i think it already has a shift kit in it when I bought the car I was going to put it back in but I have it stored at my friend's place lives about 2 hours away I want it to go back in but everybody told me the 3 speed so now I'm stuck with a 3-speed for now have you had any experience with a 3 speed

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Also watch out who you give that trans to when getting it rebuilt. I have heard some shops will exchange it for the weaker trans thinking you won't know the difference. That transmission is very valuable.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Yes I still have it i think it already has a shift kit in it when I bought the car I was going to put it back in but I have it stored at my friend's place lives about 2 hours away I want it to go back in but everybody told me the 3 speed so now I'm stuck with a 3-speed for now have you had any experience with a 3 speed
It's not a shift kit. That is how the 442 trans actually shifts from the factory.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
The 2004R has a 2.74 first gear and the Th 350 has a 2.52 first gear. The 2004R gives you a mechanically superior launch. Guys have spent thousands to equal the performance of that trans. Talk to GN owner,. they would never put a TH350 in their cars. Also the rear is special too. only the GN and the 442 have that 8.5 rear.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
The 2004R has a 2.74 first gear and the Th 350 has a 2.52 first gear. The 2004R gives you a mechanically superior launch. Guys have spent thousands to equal the performance of that trans. Talk to GN owners, they would never put a TH350 in their cars. Also the rear is special too. only the GN and the 442 have that 8.5 rear.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
It has a 72 Olds Cutlass 350 in it fully rebuilt step up from stock Edelbrock intake Edelbrock carb turbo 350 trans with a 2300 stall and 373 rear hope it runs good just put the motor 2 days ago crossmember is holding me up and need exhaust from the motor back it never end lol

I see, Well the 3.73 will be a bit steep for highway travel, but if you want to do some stop light to stop light drags it will perform
well with proper hook up. And burnouts. Keep your camera handy for someone to take your picture. LOL

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 2004R trans are tougher to build right but 1000 rpm less on the highway is worth it. I chucked the TH250C and went back to the 2004R. I would buy a new double hump cross member, makes routing dual exhaust much easier, trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor