Put my rear axle together.. Doesn't look right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007
I can't tell where the seal is supposed to ride cuz I wire-wheeled the axles and made them all shiny. It sure looks like they're sticking out too far:
039a85ee7490__1325432355000.jpg

Or am I wrong? Maybe I'll put my brakes together and see if they line up.
('78 7.5" non posi 2-series converted to a 3.42 posi with a S-10 gearset)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That looks fine to me. When you put the axles back in the c clip sits in a recess when the axle is in place and it can't fall out once the pinion shaft is put in place. If the axle wasn't seated properly you would not be able to install the pinion shaft. If the c clip is missing you'd be able to pull the axle out. If you think it's sitting to far out just slide the drum on and it should sit almost flush with the back side of the backing plate. If your rrally concerned just remove the cover and make sure everything is in place in the carrier..

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007
Oh that's true, I don't really have to put the brakes together to see that. Thanks, bro. You're always here when a guy needs a hand! Let me go check it out..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor