Putting an '84 231V6 CCC engine in a '79 231 V6 non-CCC car, what needs swapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79CutlassSupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
Wichita, KS
Good afternoon, I have a 1979 Cutlass Supreme Brougham with a seized 231V6, I bought a donor 1984 Cutlass Supreme with a 231V6. The '79 does not have all the smog, computer controls that the '84 does. My question is, what will I need to swap over from the '79 engine to the '84 engine? I have the ECM from the '84, along with the carb and distributor.

I would like to install the '84 engine without changing any of the original components as I don't really know the condition of those.
The original carb would have to be rebuilt, the intake would need swapped, as I'm sure the distributor as well.

Thanks for any input,

James

79CutlassSupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
Wichita, KS
Swap the distributor and carb from the 79 to the 84
That's what I was leaning toward, also figured the intake would need to swapped as well as they appeared to be different. I'll need to check the condition of distributor, and probably just replace the pickup coil and ICM, then have the carb rebuilt.
Thank you for the input.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
How do you know the carb needs rebuilt if it doesn't run?
Just swap the long block; everything should go bolt for bolt. However, given the 231s propensity to leak awesomeness at will (oil), I would put some new gaskets on the "new" engine.

79CutlassSupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
Wichita, KS
How do you know the carb needs rebuilt if it doesn't run?
Just swap the long block; everything should go bolt for bolt. However, given the 231s propensity to leak awesomeness at will (oil), I would put some new gaskets on the "new" engine.
Good point on the carb, the car has sat for the last 15 years and it looks pretty nasty inside. I have not pulled the top off yet to see what it's actual condition is but didn't want to start off with possible fuel problems.

Yes, the plan is to put new gaskets on the new engine.

Thanks for the input.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
What happened to the Original drivetrain?

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings &9 Cut & all; I believe I have two brand new GM molded (NOS) radiator hoses that I'm guessing would fit your build perfect? I'll try to attach the pictures, you check the part #s. $35 at your door, includes shipping. Ole' Bob.
Ps: Bad pictures, if the shape looks right I'll take new & better pictures. Thanks for the consideration.

Attachments

• Buick Hoses.JPG
    Buick Hoses.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 261
Reactions: 1 user

79CutlassSupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
Wichita, KS
What happened to the Original drivetrain?
It was all still in the car, now sitting on the garage floor. The engine is seized, I believe it had a head gasket failure and filled the cylinders with coolant and currently has crud in them. The car was parked and has sat for probably 15 years or more. Transmission condition is unknown, though the fluid in it didn't look or smell burnt. It will get new seals, new filter and fluid and we'll see.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

79CutlassSupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
Wichita, KS
Greetings &9 Cut & all; I believe I have two brand new GM molded (NOS) radiator hoses that I'm guessing would fit your build perfect? I'll try to attach the pictures, you check the part #s. $35 at your door, includes shipping. Ole' Bob.
Ps: Bad pictures, if the shape looks right I'll take new & better pictures. Thanks for the consideration.
Thanks for the offer, I have all new belts and hoses.

• Useful

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
It was all still in the car, now sitting on the garage floor. The engine is seized, I believe it had a head gasket failure and filled the cylinders with coolant and currently has crud in them. The car was parked and has sat for probably 15 years or more. Transmission condition is unknown, though the fluid in it didn't look or smell burnt. It will get new seals, new filter and fluid and we'll see.

Gotcha i see. Have any pictures of it? Those Early engs are very tough to find. I spent 3 yrs to find one Especially a 1979 Built date engine. I just finished Repainting it. Very hard to find color.
But thankfully still available thanks to Dupli-Color DC-DE1608.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor