Putting an '84 231V6 CCC engine in a '79 231 V6 non-CCC car, what needs swapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79CutlassSupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
Wichita, KS
Gotcha i see. Have any pictures of it? Those Early engs are very tough to find. I spent 3 yrs to find one Especially a 1979 Built date engine. I just finished Repainting it. Very hard to find color.
But thankfully still available thanks to Dupli-Color DC-DE1608.
Sure, here are a couple shots. This is of the car was when I pulled it out of the weeds next the lean-to back in Sep 2014, the engine pic is just last week when I finally got around to doing something with this beast.

Attachments

• Cutlass Engine (2).jpeg
    Cutlass Engine (2).jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Cutlass.jpg
    Cutlass.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: 1 user

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Sure, here are a couple shots. This is of the car was when I pulled it out of the weeds next the lean-to back in Sep 2014, the engine pic is just last week when I finally got around to doing something with this beast.
Quite nice! Have any front pictures of it...? Are you going to rebuild the original eng or not using it? I'd be interested in parts.

79CutlassSupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
Wichita, KS
Quite nice! Have any front pictures of it...? Are you going to rebuild the original eng or not using it? I'd be interested in parts.
My plan is to install the donor engine for now, just to to get it back on the road and hopefully in the not too distant future rebuild the original engine...provided the block isn't cracked. I'd like to keep the original drive-train intact and with the car. I took the grills out way before this picture was taken and put them up, they are cracked but mostly all there.

Attachments

• IMAG0733.jpg
    IMAG0733.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Love
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I don't get the obsession with keeping 110 hp under the hood. A Buick 350 is a direct swap, double the power stock and maybe a 2 mpg difference. Swapping in another used 3.8 is one thing, very cheap to do. But rebuilding is a different story. I love the Olds V8 but would have no issues removing the comprised 260 from these cars as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

79CutlassSupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
Wichita, KS
I don't get the obsession with keeping 110 hp under the hood. A Buick 350 is a direct swap, double the power stock and maybe a 2 mpg difference. Swapping in another used 3.8 is one thing, very cheap to do. But rebuilding is a different story. I love the Olds V8 but would have no issues removing the comprised 260 from these cars as well.
We don't really get it either... but you are right, it doesn't make much sense other than keeping it as original as possible for now and making it more fun to drive a bit later. My plans and ideas have changed a hundred different times over the years.. so who really knows what it'll end up with.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
With so many original, low mileage Gs floating around, it doesn't make much sense to worry about the original engine. Although, once they all have LS motors, I guess an original might be worth something?

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
We don't care about common sh*t that's why. Plus Doing V8 swaps has gotten extremely boring, Out of taste etc reason why in some states you can't even find one anymore everyone are hoarding them... then you have LS-Junk. ruined the market.

on the other note. I admire the guy for wanting to keep it stock. Very few cars out there anymore. (When i meant that like bone stock granny original) down to floor mats and all that rare sh*t.

Last edited:

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
We don't really get it either... but you are right, it doesn't make much sense other than keeping it as original as possible for now and making it more fun to drive a bit later. My plans and ideas have changed a hundred different times over the years.. so who really knows what it'll end up with.

Ah ... sounds like me with my Mid-evil genius plans. Never have enough cash though.
I prefer the V6 over the V8 anyway & any DAY too. Maybe I like MPG too much (Yes yes he does)

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, an Olds V8 is not original or different🤣. I like a good V6 like my 305 hp Challenger, pushing close to 40 mpg with a 4100 pound car that runs 14's in the 1/4, the same as a 3.8's 0 to 60 mph. I got 24 mpg Imperial, only 2 mpg less than the 260 and it feels twice as fast. I can still find original 40+ year old Olds 350's in good running shape. The 3.8 were not near as reliable and dangerously under powered in stock form. A 3.8 or 260 will never add any value unless it is the later EFI Turbo T Type or GN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor