Putting C5 corvette wheels on a 86 ss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmac86SS

n00b
Jun 10, 2010
hey guys i bought some wheels of of a C5 vette 17x9.5 and 18x10.5 to put on my monte carlo i should have done more research before hand because i got em and they dont fit. i knew i would probably have to have spacers for front and rear but aparently its not gonna be that simple because i would have to put like a 3 and maybe a half inch spacer in the back jus to get it off the frame but that would just look stupid cause the wheel would stick way out so now im thinking im gonna have to 4link it and tub it. in the front the wheel hits the upper control arm and the tie rod but i can notch the control arm and put a 1/2 to 1 inch spacer and they will work maybe. i cant seem to find anybody that has put newer corvette wheels on a gbody and all this trouble might be the reason why but if anybody has done this or knows of anyone puttin C5 C6 or any kind of newer vette wheels on a gbody i would like to know how they did it or if anybody can help me out i really need it thanks!

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
just go with different wheels and save the headache

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
4th Generation wheels do not work either..you would need spacers for them to work. But then the car would be unsafe. Maybe you can use the tires but not the rims.. :blam:

Reactions: 1 user

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I'd say sell them and get some of your money back....You get an "A" for effort though...GO with some weld drag lites :) The early 70's vette rally's would look pretty kick *ss on your G-Body....... I saw a set on a 81 'BU and it really made the car sharp.

808SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2010
Kailua, HI
Theres a guy here that rolls with corvette rims with spacers for years now with no problems

Jul 6, 2008
hahaha at ppl still thinking its unsafe to run adapters/spacers.

if done properly and lets face it only one wat to do it....will be fine...ive ran corvette wheels on 3 diffrent type of gm bodys never a issue.

my guess 2 inch in front, 2 1/2 in the rear have fun.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Tmac86SS said:
so now im thinking im gonna have to 4link it and tub it.

No need to tub and/or alter the suspension. A simple frame notch will accomodate a 10.5" rim. With my frame notch I have 11" wide rims in the back without any problems.

in the front the wheel hits the upper control arm and the tie rod but i can notch the control arm and put a 1/2 to 1 inch spacer and they will work maybe.

Sounds like you just need a different spacer. I have 17x9.5's in the front of my '87 and nothing rubs. Granted their not Corvette rims but that shouldn't matter.

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Whats up with spacers??? Real one that is not stacked auto parts ones.

I got some conversion spacers . They bolt on and had lugs at a different lay out . (6bolt to 5 ) And have jumped the truck (mud truck )with no issues several times. They r heavy duty . I bought them on ebey , The out fit makes all types and also has the 8 bolt to semi . And those I know take stress. I was looking at them to use newer rims on a older truck Need to space rims out same pattern. different offset .
But if you r just using the ones at auto parts forget it. Also for the cost of the adapters ,Spacers you could buy other rims.

But would look cool . HAve a set made .

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
That's awesome!!!

I think the conversion spacers would be a lot stronger because the wheel studs aren't 4" long. That is the dangerous part about the spacers themselves, the fact that you have to use such long wheel studs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor