Puzzling Question about LED headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I purchased these on Ebay a couple years ago for $69. I like them very much. They're much brighter than stockers. The stockers, both hi and low beam worked fine without a problem, but after I installed them, though I hadn't switched to hi-beam, I found the new headlites were in hi-beam mode, and if I manually switched to hi-beams, they would go to low beam but at the same time my two center hi-beam headlights would be on when low beam mode was chosen. So in order to drive, I ultimately had to disconnect the two center high beam bulbs. Does anyone know any way to reverse these? I tried today, and worked on them for a few hours but had no luck. The problem must be in the bulbs somehow. Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a way to reverse the hi-beam / low beam polarity? By the way, these exact same headlights are offered on Ebay today by STARK. I have a set of them also, and they do the same thing. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=322177900131

Attachments

• 6000K cool white.jpg
    6000K cool white.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 370

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Those are set up like the H4, 6054, & 6052 bulbs. Just gotta swap the tan & green wires in the pigtail.

Reactions: 1 user

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I guess I was on the right track. I did try to swap the green and tan wires, and both housings worked properly for that side, the driver side, specifically, but when I moved to the other side, I found I had zero power, no power to the passenger side at all, no low beam, unless I manually activated the hi-beam switch, which of course activated the hi-beams. I tried every way I could to make the pass. side work, but had no luck. I just gave up and put everything back to the way I had it, with disconnected center hi-beams. Thanks!

• Dislike

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you are going to drive your vehicle in the winter you'll need to get a heated lense to melt the snow and ice. The LED gives off no heat like unlike the conventional and HID bulbs to melt snow or ice that builds up on the lenses.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I guess I was on the right track. I did try to swap the green and tan wires, and both housings worked properly for that side, the driver side, specifically, but when I moved to the other side, I found I had zero power, no power to the passenger side at all, no low beam, unless I manually activated the hi-beam switch, which of course activated the hi-beams. I tried every way I could to make the pass. side work, but had no luck. I just gave up and put everything back to the way I had it, with disconnected center hi-beams. Thanks!

the headlight wires go from the drivers side to the passenger side so if the passenger side is dead why not tap into the driver's side wire and put a new wire to the passenger side.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I'm going to mess with it today. I thought of somethings I might try. I had thought of running a wire from the other side, but first I thought I'd just put 12V to each of the wires to see which one to run it to, but it made the side that was working go to hi-beam, no matter which I made contact with. And don't forget, the pass side was dead only with low beams selected. When engaging the hi-beam switch, then, there was power. I have a couple of ideas. I'll be back.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Found my mistake. When switching wires to terminals, one of the terminals received two wires. I only switched one and that's what caused no power to the other side. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor