Pypes 3" Exhaust Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Finally decided on the Pypes 3" system for the Malibu. Going to modify the tailpipes to come out behind the tires when I get that far. Seems good so far. Did a behind the tire 2 1/2" kit on my Dad's 79 ElCamino last year and was pleased with the quality. I plan on giving updates as the install progresses. Two girls in softball mean it will take me longer than I'd like, but it will get done. Kinda sad, cause it sounded sooooo good with open headers! 400 small block 10.7:1, lunati voodoo cam and Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. Kinda scary with the original spiral shock absorbers and 195/75/14 tires!

The first thing I'm running into is the small floor pan cross brace behind the transmission looks like it will need some love to let the exhaust be tucked up high. Anyone else run into this and what was your solution?

Attachments

• IMG_20180715_170154237_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180715_170154237_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 352
Reactions: 1 users

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I’m interested to see your results because of the thread a few week ago about issues with this system I think it’s the same unless I’m mistaken

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I’m interested to see your results because of the thread a few week ago about issues with this system I think it’s the same unless I’m mistaken
It's the 2.5" strait tail kit that they sell know knowingly with fubared passenger tails. I stil have mine sitting in the garage waiting to see what to do with it.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
It's the 2.5" strait tail kit that they sell know knowingly with fubared passenger tails. I stil have mine sitting in the garage waiting to see what to do with it.
What's wrong with the tail pipes?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What's wrong with the tail pipes?
They incorrectly bent the passenger side tail at the bend after the muffler joint, had four of them like that as they took two back & sent me two as replacements. The first two also had some funky issues with the bends between the axle hoop & where they started to follow the frame rail. Here is a picture of the first set I put together on my porch to show Pypes how screwed up it is.

Attachments

• DSCN3467.JPG
    DSCN3467.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 338

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
They incorrectly bent the passenger side tail at the bend after the muffler joint, had four of them like that as they took two back & sent me two as replacements. The first two also had some funky issues with the bends between the axle hoop & where they started to follow the frame rail. Here is a picture of the first set I put together on my porch to show Pypes how screwed up it is.

Yeah, mine had some funny sanding on them. Wanted to call pypes to b*tch but I'm buried at work and always forget.

Attachments

• IMG_20180712_184210559.jpg
    IMG_20180712_184210559.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 301

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Finally decided on the Pypes 3" system for the Malibu. Going to modify the tailpipes to come out behind the tires when I get that far. Seems good so far. Did a behind the tire 2 1/2" kit on my Dad's 79 ElCamino last year and was pleased with the quality. I plan on giving updates as the install progresses. Two girls in softball mean it will take me longer than I'd like, but it will get done. Kinda sad, cause it sounded sooooo good with open headers! 400 small block 10.7:1, lunati voodoo cam and Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. Kinda scary with the original spiral shock absorbers and 195/75/14 tires!

The first thing I'm running into is the small floor pan cross brace behind the transmission looks like it will need some love to let the exhaust be tucked up high. Anyone else run into this and what was your solution?
I didn't have your specific problem with the floor brace. Mine was that with the T5 transmission I'm using, the front U-Joint occupies the same real estate as the floor brace. My solution was an offset (rearward) driveshaft loop. Looks like a similar solution might work for you....
20180210_103351.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
I didn't have your specific problem with the floor brace. Mine was that with the T5 transmission I'm using, the front U-Joint occupies the same real estate as the floor brace. My solution was an offset (rearward) driveshaft loop. Looks like a similar solution might work for you.... View attachment 92277

That kills two birds with one stone. More safety and function at the same time. Did you buy the driveshaft loop or make it?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That kills two birds with one stone. More safety and function at the same time. Did you buy the driveshaft loop or make it?
I bought it from a place called JT Raceshop but I've heard they are no longer available. If you aren't running a 700R-4 or a T5, and don't need the loop offset rearward, UMI makes a loop...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIlKSLw5Cl3AIVh_hkCh3fbgxwEAQYAiABEgKxQfD_BwE
Here's another...
https://www.straightshotperformance.com/78-88-g-body-driveshaft-loop-p/ssp0019.htm

Do a google search. You may come up with others. If you don't need a safety loop you could just make a custom floor brace. I don't need a safety loop but I like overkill.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor