Pypes, Jegs, Summit, which one?? 1/16/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I've been hunting for the right exhaust kit for the Cutlass and having a hard time making a decision.
The Jegs kit isn't on sale right now, so it's only $50 cheaper than the Pypes Kit $500 which has X pipe and side exit which is what I want.
The Holley swap exhaust is amazing and proven to fit, but at $700+ it's a hard sell for this cheapskate! The Summit kit is pretty much the same as the Jegs kit so I'm sure fitment and such is similar.
I looked at kits without mufflers too as I have a pair of Pypes M80 that are basically new, but pretty sure they drone bad at cruising speeds. The other big contender is the Black Widow Venom 250 mufflers which sound really good on cammed motors!!!

I WILL NOT USE FLOWMASTERS!!!! Ran them in the past, as does every other hotrod in town so I'm going a different route.

Any and all feedback is encouraged. Thanks guys.

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I went with the Jegs stainless kit but using the Pypes mufflers that came with the POS straight exit kit. Those Jegs mufflers are heavy but shorter by a few inches than the Pypes mufflers. If you do want the X pipe go with the side exit Pypes kit as those who have used it say they fit nice.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I don't have any first-hand experience with these so don't quote me on this, but I believe the side exit pypes kit is pretty good quality, but the rear exit pypes kit sucks. I know pagrunt had a hell of a problem with his rear exit pypes kit, I'm sure he can explain better than me.

I'm with you on the flowmasters , they've always droned like hell on every vehicle I had with them.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I gave $549 shipped for a 3" Pypes stainless header back system with Monte SS style tails and their RaceFlo mufflers. It came with everything needed and fit well for a 3" system. Sounds nice and deep at idle. Sounds like Magnaflow when revved. Zero drone and super quiet inside of the car. My Magnum SRT8 with American Racing Headers, cats, x-pipe, and Corsa Extreme exhaust sounds the same at idle, zero drone, but loud at WOT and it has that ridiculous childish raspy sound like an old 5.0 Mustang with a baja pipe...……….fine for a teenager with a Mustang, but for me, ehh. I had Magnaflow on it prior, but the drone was mind numbing. The RaceFlo mufflers are designed exactly the same as Magnaflow, they just don't create drone.

I would buy the Pypes system, but probably stick with the 2.5" as it would have been an easier fit. I'd spend the $250 I saved on my wife for not booting me out for spending so much on an exhaust system. A win/win. Just kidding, I'd plop the $250 down toward a nitrous kit.

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I went with the Jegs stainless kit but using the Pypes mufflers that came with the POS straight exit kit. Those Jegs mufflers are heavy but shorter by a few inches than the Pypes mufflers. If you do want the X pipe go with the side exit Pypes kit as those who have used it say they fit nice.
Thanks man. I recall you saying the straight out back exit pipes fit like garbage! I forgot to mention I'm gonna be running a header back setup. I don't mind regular duals, but just wanting to change it up, especially since the X pipe has a different sound.
Do you recall which mufflers you bought? From what I've read the Street Pro units drone really bad, and actually the Race Pro's drone less.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I gave $549 shipped for a 3" Pypes stainless header back system with Monte SS style tails and their RaceFlo mufflers. It came with everything needed and fit well for a 3" system. Sounds nice and deep at idle. Sounds like Magnaflow when revved. Zero drone and super quiet inside of the car. My Magnum SRT8 with American Racing Headers, cats, x-pipe, and Corsa Extreme exhaust sounds the same at idle, zero drone, but loud at WOT and it has that ridiculous childish raspy sound like an old 5.0 Mustang with a baja pipe...……….fine for a teenager with a Mustang, but for me, ehh. I had Magnaflow on it prior, but the drone was mind numbing. The RaceFlo mufflers are designed exactly the same as Magnaflow, they just don't create drone.

I would buy the Pypes system, but probably stick with the 2.5" as it would have been an easier fit. I'd spend the $250 I saved on my wife for not booting me out for spending so much on an exhaust system. A win/win. Just kidding, I'd plop the $250 down toward a nitrous kit.
^^^^ this is the response I'm after. I'm gonna go 2.5" just to help a bit with clearance since I'm running a 3" driveshaft. What type of ends does it come with to attach to the headers?
I'm running Speed Engineering headers for my LS swap and they don't have a flange on them.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Do you recall which mufflers you bought? From what I've read the Street Pro units drone really bad, and actually the Race Pro's drone less.
They are the Street Pros. Not sure how different the sound or drone will be on a non cross over system.
What type of ends does it come with to attach to the headers?
Should be the same as my POS kit, has a pair of 45 deg (+/-) legs to connect to the collectors. Designed to work with headers or their manifold head pipe sets.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
^^^^ this is the response I'm after. I'm gonna go 2.5" just to help a bit with clearance since I'm running a 3" driveshaft. What type of ends does it come with to attach to the headers?
I'm running Speed Engineering headers for my LS swap and they don't have a flange on them.

The straight tails fit just fine but it took patience from front to rear with the 3" system. Getting both sides to match level-wise was the difficult task, but my OCD kicked in and they ended up perfect. I cut them off square and then 45 angled the bottom half just like a Monte SS. I used some 3" mandrel bends that I had with 3 bolt flanges to hook to my shorty headers. I am building 1-7/8" long tubes this winter and I'll probably still used 3 bolt flanges, or maybe band clamps. The kit came without flanges. The stainless band clamps would work like a champ with no flanges. Some people don't like them but in my opinion they are grade A. When the band clamps are installed wrong they are a disaster...……………….but isn't that the case with everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor