HELP QuadraJet experts weigh in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Donovan, I would get a short fine thread screw in a common tap size, about the right size to fill the plug properly. Usually the later Qjet's are better but let's face it, your carb is 40 years old. I too like how your motor looks, despite it being a Chevy:). I am sure the paint is flawless on it as well. I am ordering the chrome K&N air flow top for the factory air cleaner, which I made into a dual snorkel and adding a Rocket 350 sticker on my 70S.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I love how that engine looks. So clean.

Thanks man! I really appreciate the comment, but uh, are you feeling ok?
I mean after all, it’s a SBC and not a SBB...
;):ROFLMAO:

Just kidding buddy. Thanks for the compliment.

Donovan, I would get a short fine thread screw in a common tap size, about the right size to fill the plug properly. Usually the later Qjet's are better but let's face it, your carb is 40 years old. I too like how your motor looks, despite it being a Chevy

I’m already on it. I managed to find an 1/8” and a 1/4” NPT hex head plug at work today, and I have the taps for both sizes already. I have to remove the JB Weld that’s on there now to determine the appropriate size, but I’ll be installing one or the other as per your earlier suggestion.

You’re absolutely right, if it is indeed the original carb, it’s pushing 40 years old. That being said, it still works remarkably well, and even more so now that it’s been rebuilt. I’m not looking for miracles out of it, just continued good performance and reliability out of it for several more years.

Thanks as well for the compliment, believe it or not it’s my first Chevy build. I speak, eat, breathe and bleed Oldsmobile, it’s what I’m the most used to. The 455 in The Juggernaut should be proof enough of that!
:)

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
No problem Jack, it was nothing at all. I had a look at that stuff in the link you included, it looks like it’s going to be a quality product to use. Be sure to report back on how it was to work with and how it holds up. (They really boast about its corrosion resistance properties).
I’m personally interested in this as well, because I have a short rubber splice between the barb on the fuel pump fitting and the original metal line. I’d eventually like to re-plumb it entirely in hard line like the factory did.
One less thing to fail.
D,
I will certainly report on the results of using the Poly-armour PVF steel tubing. I believe it's like the Cunifer tubing that has been discussed in the past... if not the same exact product.
I was also hoping to make a full metal line from pump to carb. What attracted me other than the fact that it's corrosion resistant, was that it can easily be bent, and I assume, easily flared.
Advance auto seems to have it in a 6' (72") length. I know I'll have to cut it down and re-flare one end.
If I'm really pleased will how well it works, I may consider doing all the steel brake lines as well.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Is that the dark green stuff?
I've never seen it up close, nor held it in my hand, however. it does look to be either a dark green color, or dark grey. I can't quite tell yet.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Another quick question. If I'm using the inline filter in the carb, would it be overkill to also add an inline filter in the line itself? I generally like to use inline filters.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Actually, once a certain performance level is eclipsed (varies), the inlet filter becomes a restriction and gets removed in favor of a higher flowing inline....

That is true but if you remove the spring and the valve there is no restriction, but the valve does help prevent the gas from back flowing when the engine is shut down.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor