Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey guys

I’ve just had a friend rebuild my Chevy QuadraJet. He’s done a good job and it runs well, but there’s a plastic plug or cap at the front of the fuel inlet that’s leaking. It was leaking before the rebuild and I had JB Welded it up as a temporary fix, but now it’s leaking again.

It’s not a serviceable or replaceable part as near as I can tell, there was no replacement for it in the rebuild kit I bought. It looks to be some sort of plastic plug or something that was lacquered over.
Any one come across this before or have thoughts on to how to fix this properly?

9D24C62B-78A7-4129-B848-7D80E0D9A442.jpeg

Pics of one on a different carb:

192606A0-D98E-495D-B663-FE47552150FC.jpeg

CDBA4DEE-04CF-45CB-9874-A96203E987FE.jpeg

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone has on this.

D.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That is one of the factory swagged casting plugs. The best way would be to carefully drill it out and tap then add a threaded plug with the threads sealed with JB Weld.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you remove the filter and look at the end of the hole for the filter you'll see that plug is used to cover the hole they drilled for the fuel flow to enter the carb. I would get rid of that plastic plug and get a proper plug or tap it like suggested

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Never heard of one with a plastic plug before. Wonder if it is a weird reman unit? The remanufacturers do some weird things to Qjets.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
D,
The plug that you indicate is metal on my Q-jet.
Speaking of Q-jets. How is your fuel line routed, and are you using a steel line? I figured I'd ask knowing that you're using the Chevy carb configuration.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That is one of the factory swagged casting plugs. The best way would be to carefully drill it out and tap then add a threaded plug with the threads sealed with JB Weld.

Thanks for the clarification and enlightening me Christian.
Your solution to get it sealed up sounds like the best course of action, and that’s what I’ll do. I just didn’t know if there was a proper or specific plug to get somewhere to replace it with.
Thanks very much.

If you remove the filter and look at the end of the hole for the filter you'll see that plug is used to cover the hole they drilled for the fuel flow to enter the carb. I would get rid of that plastic plug and get a proper plug or tap it like suggested

Steve, thanks for revealing the reason for the plug there in the first place. Now that you’ve mentioned that, it makes perfect sense.
Thanks for solving that mystery.

Never heard of one with a plastic plug before. Wonder if it is a weird reman unit? The remanufacturers do some weird things to Qjets.

It’s entirely possible I suppose. There’s no guarantee that it’s the same carb after 38 years...
That’s what makes this plug so strange, it’s a bit of a hybrid with both - a metal housing around a plastic center. Either way, it’s outta there very soon and will be replaced with a hex head pipe plug.

D,
The plug that you indicate is metal on my Q-jet.
Speaking of Q-jets. How is your fuel line routed, and are you using a steel line? I figured I'd ask knowing that you're using the Chevy carb configuration.

Jack, I kept the metal fuel line that originally went into the inlet and reused it on the new engine. It was originally a 305 Chevrolet engine anyways, so it fit quite pretty good on the 350 as well. I just had to tweak the other end to work with the aftermarket mechanical fuel pump I was forced to put on it.
Here’s a couple of pics showing the routing.

6809ACDF-7C73-4C1A-B1C3-7F54A0BF15F3.jpeg

F02B8641-38FB-436E-B6D7-85380C52B419.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you, sir. I truly appreciate you taking your time to post a few pics of your fuel line setup. I've been running a Holley on it for years and never had a Q-jet on this engine before.
My original 305 was Q-jet equipped, but I never kept the original steel fuel line. I will be improvising and bending up a new line once I get the Q-jet on there.
This is the stuff I will be using. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/poly-armour-domestic-poly-armour-pvf-steel-brake-fuel-transmission-line-3-8-x-72-pa-672/22190070-P?searchTerm=3/8"+steel+fuel+line

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thank you, sir. I truly appreciate you taking your time to post a few pics of your fuel line setup. I've been running a Holley on it for years and never had a Q-jet on this engine before.
My original 305 was Q-jet equipped, but I never kept the original steel fuel line. I will be improvising and bending up a new line once I get the Q-jet on there.
This is the stuff I will be using. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/poly-armour-domestic-poly-armour-pvf-steel-brake-fuel-transmission-line-3-8-x-72-pa-672/22190070-P?searchTerm=3/8"+steel+fuel+line

No problem Jack, it was nothing at all. I had a look at that stuff in the link you included, it looks like it’s going to be a quality product to use. Be sure to report back on how it was to work with and how it holds up. (They really boast about its corrosion resistance properties).
I’m personally interested in this as well, because I have a short rubber splice between the barb on the fuel pump fitting and the original metal line. I’d eventually like to re-plumb it entirely in hard line like the factory did.
One less thing to fail.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks for the clarification and enlightening me Christian.
Your solution to get it sealed up sounds like the best course of action, and that’s what I’ll do. I just didn’t know if there was a proper or specific plug to get somewhere to replace it with.
Thanks very much.

Steve, thanks for revealing the reason for the plug there in the first place. Now that you’ve mentioned that, it makes perfect sense.
Thanks for solving that mystery.

It’s entirely possible I suppose. There’s no guarantee that it’s the same carb after 38 years...
That’s what makes this plug so strange, it’s a bit of a hybrid with both - a metal housing around a plastic center. Either way, it’s outta there very soon and will be replaced with a hex head pipe plug.

Jack, I kept the metal fuel line that originally went into the inlet and reused it on the new engine. It was originally a 305 Chevrolet engine anyways, so it fit quite pretty good on the 350 as well. I just had to tweak the other end to work with the aftermarket mechanical fuel pump I was forced to put on it.
Here’s a couple of pics showing the routing.

View attachment 84583

View attachment 84584
I love how that engine looks. So clean.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor