Quadrajet secondary metering Rod Hanger not moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I searched for about an hour and came up with nothing. On the first carb (Chevy carb my cousin gave me to get my car up and running, problems of its own) the secondary rod... hanger thing moves with the air valves. On mine, it does not. I "rebuilt" it. By that I mean I had a 17058241 '78 Buick qjet, broke it physically and bought one exactly like it and combined the two. I used the new parts out of the first Buick carb in the second buick carb and it kind of works. Was flooding everywhere, but a new needle and float solved that. I never paid attention to the hangar, before, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to move like the chevy one. My engine ran with my cobbled together carb, albeit very poorly (would run if I hovered at 2,000+rpm anything less it would sputter, and diesel for three seconds then die) and when I pulled up on the hangar it changed how it ran. Anyone know how to fix this?

Here's a Link to the video, the forum won't let me upload it here.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
how much experience do you have rebuilding quadrajets and what book did you reference when you were rebuilding it?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
how much experience do you have rebuilding quadrajets and what book did you reference when you were rebuilding it?
The Cliff Ruggles book I bought, general knowledge of carburetors, and various YouTube videos that actually helped a fair bit. But I've never rebuilt a Qjet from the ground up before. I might just take the air horn part off the working one (chevy) and put it on my cobbled one (Buick) if they fit, that much I can safely say I can do. There is a little cam in between the butterflies on top and its like it isnt making contact at all but it's part of the shaft and doesn't look any different from the Chevy one.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
read the book a few times and then redo the carb. It takes time and effort to learn how to build a quadrajet. The cam to lift the secondaries is on the rod the air valves are installed on so I have no idea on what you did to prevent the rear rods from lifting.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
read the book a few times and then redo the carb. It takes time and effort to learn how to build a quadrajet. The cam to lift the secondaries is on the rod the air valves are installed on so I have no idea on what you did to prevent the rear rods from lifting.
I have no idea either. If I can't figure it out or make the chevy carb work to my liking (it sat for a few years, no leaks yet) I'll just combine those two. Or at the very least the hangar if I can manage to get it off.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There is a plastic cam that moves the metering rods with the secondary air door. If they don't move or only a small amount, it needs replaced as it is worn or broken. Most of the QJet parts suppliers should have it. Make sure the sbc carb top is a close enough match or it will run terrible or not at all.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks for the info olds307. Yeah, I found a broken cam on the top plate of my first carb (I wonder why :p) and the Chevy carb ran like sh*t, even after I rebuilt it. The questionable eBay Qjet (same model number as my first one) runs perfect now after a good cleaning out. So, now I have some parts carbs. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor