Quadrajet with no charcoal canister vent...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
what do I do when my carb doesn't have the big 3/8 nipple on the front? How did the earlier cars run the emissions hoses?

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
This isn't me [hopefully Tyler won't mind] but he has the basic idea . . . should be useful. If I am misunderstanding your question, repost, I'll try to help or confuse you more (y).

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The carb I'm looking at for a replacement has no hole for the vent tube in the body. I wonder if the passage would still be in there so I could just drill and add the tube.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
Just leave it open at the canister so the fuel tank can vent. The whole idea of that port is so as gas is pumped out of the tank it needs to draw in air, so by drawing it through the vent in the carb fuel vapors will be drawn back into the tank instead of gioing into the atmosphere. Earlier cars didn't have this, they just vented into the air.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you want to add the vent tube you need to take off the horn to make sure the port and channel are there in the older style carbs. The circled port in the body lines up with the channel in the horn for the bowl vent tube..

carb 1.jpg
carb 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
How old is that carb? They used to have a vent on the top of the air horn with a spring loaded rubber disc. At rest it closed the hole and at any throttle opening it opened. The hole was closed up approaching emissions carbs but you still saw the castings for the spring and plug mechanism. I forget what year it happened but the vent tube was added to the carb, the tank had a non-vented gas cap, and the charcoal canister appeared.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
And you have to be a little careful on leaving open ports on that canister. It is amazing how much vapor that thing will absorb. When I moved it from PS to DS over my dual CAI mod, I thought I knocked or cracked something loose in the gas line. Started smelling gas. Nope, just that canister.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Just leave it open at the canister so the fuel tank can vent. The whole idea of that port is so as gas is pumped out of the tank it needs to draw in air, so by drawing it through the vent in the carb fuel vapors will be drawn back into the tank instead of gioing into the atmosphere. Earlier cars didn't have this, they just vented into the air.
And the cars smelled like gas.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC

I would think you may have some other issue, maybe a bad line or the canister itself has a crack. The system should be drawing in air via the canister as fuel is used. I've done this to several cars over the years and never had that issue. On one car, i capped the canister and actually built up a vacuum in the tank to the point that when i went to gas up, the tank poped out with a loud noise. The other way you could go is to plug the canister and get a vented gas cap like older cars had or modify the one you have.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

I have used quadrajets with no bowl vent tube and they did not smell like gas. Even with the vent tube the bowl is still open to the atmosphere with this tube...

36001jet5.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor