MALIBU Quarter Panel Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Hi Gang,

I've been looking for a lower rear quarter panel patch for my 78 Malibu. I found one at Classic Industries for a 78-87 El Camino. It looks like the body lines are the same. I only need about 4 inches at the very bottom of the panel from the wheel opening to about 10 inches back. It has a cutout for a side marker light or something, but I don't need that part anyway. Has anybody used this panel on their Malibu? Thanks!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Wheelwell shape is different ..Caminos and wagons are the same,

Sedans and coupes are the same

AFAIK, the two groups are not the same, even down low, although they look similar,

Reactions: 1 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Shoot, I thought I was on to something. Anyone have any leads on a patch for this? I'm not a fabricator, but I can learn. Probably be cheaper too I guess.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
dixie sells a partial quarter for your car,make for a good patch

Reactions: 3 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
dixie sells a partial quarter for your car,make for a good patch
I found it, thanks. I must have looked right past it. $149 isn't cheap, but I guess if I was into saving pennies I would've never started this project. Thanks, I appreciate it!!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Honestly, if it's that small, you should be able to make it with sheet stock. The patch panels I have experience with (even the quarter skins) seldom have the correct bends at the bottom to replicate the OE panel.

It's not a very complex shape, I'd bet a guy with some patience, a body hammer or two, a few C clamps and a length of angle iron could make the necessary break at the bottom to replicate the OE panel

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Honestly, if it's that small, you should be able to make it with sheet stock. The patch panels I have experience with (even the quarter skins) seldom have the correct bends at the bottom to replicate the OE panel.

It's not a very complex shape, I'd bet a guy with some patience, a body hammer or two, a few C clamps and a length of angle iron could make the necessary break at the bottom to replicate the OE panel
Thanks. I'll weigh out the pros and cons of each. I'm not in a big rush to get started, but it's a next step. I think you may be right though. The only part I'm concerned about is the curve of the wheel well. It's rusty too and will have to be cut out.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Probably shouldn't admit that about a year ago I scrapped 2 good sedan quarters that would have made good lower rear patches for a coupe, but 2 years of trying to hook people up with them and no interest....can't keep everything. 🤷

Reactions: 1 user

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I probably wouldn't have held on to them for that long either. The wife wouldn't let me! Thanks for the advice though.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
FWIW, I ordered my floor patches from Dixie. They came fast and were pretty damn close to the same stamping as what I cut out. I was pleasantly surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor