Quarter window install-DONE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Not sure how the non-Malibu windows go in, but since the Malibu qtr window goes INSIDE the body, I'll be doing mine with urethane. Seen several Malibus with window trough/flange rot clearly caused by old butyl, which allows water to get in and eat away at the car....and you don't know until there's a big hole there

Not a fan of butyl tape for anything but holding nuts in a socket for hard to access places.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I also used the 1/4" and stretched it a little thinner, anything thicker than that you have to fight to get the window flush.
I'm glad you mentioned stretching it. There just isn't much documentation or video's on the web which surprised me since I know alot of guys especially here have done this.
The one video I saw this guy ran a bead around the frame, then little loops around the stud holes. He had a heluva time trying to get the windows flush!
Too thin....window won't seal tight and leak. Too thick....window won't pull flush to the body.
Thanks for the tips man.

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Not sure how the non-Malibu windows go in, but since the Malibu qtr window goes INSIDE the body, I'll be doing mine with urethane. Seen several Malibus with window trough/flange rot clearly caused by old butyl, which allows water to get in and eat away at the car....and you don't know until there's a big hole there

Not a fan of butyl tape for anything but holding nuts in a socket for hard to access places.
On my Cutlass as well as the Monte's, GP's and Regal's the quarter window mounting flange is recessed on the body. The flange seal on the backside of the window matches that and has the studs there. The seal around the outside of the window lays over the edge of the flange and pulls to the body when tightened.
I looked at getting urethane, but if the windows ever need to be removed they have to be cut out since the urethane hardens once cured. The butyl is nasty sh*t, but stays pliable while providing an effective seal when used correctly.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
I had my auto glass guy install mine. He was at the shop doing another car and since he was already there, I asked him if he could glue my windows in really quick. He used whatever urethane and primer they use on windshields. Cost me $50 and they don't leak.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I agree that urethane is great for windshields but they also have room to cut it out if it needs to be removed, on a quarter window since it is recessed into the body and also has an outer seal the urethane would not be very accessible if you needed to remove it later on

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My local glass shop installed my quarter windows using urethane caulk. Maybe it's not as critical doing smaller quarter windows with butyl tape. Just an assumption.
However, I've put a windshield in my old Porsche 914 using tape and urethane caulk under direction from the same glass shop.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
My local glass shop installed my quarter windows using urethane caulk. Maybe it's not as critical doing smaller quarter windows with butyl tape. Just an assumption.
However, I've put a windshield in my old Porsche 914 using tape and urethane caulk under direction from the same glass shop.
The urethane is stronger once hardened and cured, but the quarter windows are held in with butyl and 5 nuts tightened down.
I've read that sometimes the quarter glass has to be broken out and removed in pieces because there isn't room to cut them out. That glass is getting harder and harder to find, I don't wanna take that chance down the road!

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott,
I think you're fine using butyl tape on the quarter windows. It's probably more critical (and recommended) using urethane on the windshield or back glass.

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I will be using butyl on my Regal quarter windows when the time comes, by design it already has more support built in than a windshield so it is a non issue.

• Agree

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Scott,
I think you're fine using butyl tape on the quarter windows. It's probably more critical (and recommended) using urethane on the windshield or back glass.
Jack, that was my thought too. I just wanted to get the feeler's out to see what you guys have done and/or used.
The mobile glass shop that installed my windshield and rear window used the 3M urethane as that's the standard anymore. I will pick some butyl up in the next week so I can be ready when the Cutlass comes home :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor