Quarter Window Trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

timandsam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2018
Hamburg, PA
Hello,

So my new to me 87 Cutlass originally had a vinyl top that the previous owner removed. The roof was painted and it appears that all of the vinyl top trim was replaced with trim from a car without a vinyl top with one exception...the quarter windows.

So my question is, does the trim come off of the quarter windows? Or does the entire window assembly get replaced with glass from a hard top car?

Thanks!

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
I believe the chrome is the same. The seal is different. Easier to swap complete windows. I have some hardtop windows

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The trim is separate from the window, they remove the trim when they use the vinyl. I could never find the trim for sale on it's own so I bought the windows from a non vinyl car so I would contact 85ss/85gn since he has them

Reactions: 2 users

timandsam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2018
Hamburg, PA
Thanks for the lead. Any idea how to remove the trim from the window?

Seems like a lot of unnecessary added work to replace the window if I only have to change out the trim.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

Seems like a lot of unnecessary added work to replace the window if I only have to change out the trim.

the window has to come out to add the trim and it's a not a bad idea to change the butyl after all these years.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

RG383Hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 7, 2015

The chrome trim needs to be pushed from the backside and pryed out of the rubber seal. It’s a pita and takes some work to get it out, then the glass can be removed. The seal is the only difference from hard top to vinyl top, glass and metal trim is the same. It’s going to be hard to just find the hard top seals for sale. Haven’t seen any re-pops and used are usually sold as complete qtr windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor