Question about adding TBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I have an 86 Cutlass with a 403 and a 2004r, I originally wanted to run the CCC sytem on it. But I never got the carb set up right and the car has been sitting for the last 2 years because of it. I was cleaning out my garage yesterday and I got an idea. I have a TBI setup off of a 305 or 350, distributor and the ecu. So I basically need a harness, the adapter off of a 454 so I can bolt the Throttle body to my intake, and then a baffled fuel tank. I figure I could take the module off of the Chevy distributor and put it in mine, then use the tank out of a Grand National, or a Monte with a 4.3., and in theory I should be up and running. But there's a couple things Im unsure of, Ive read that aftermarket gas tanks are poor quality is that still true? I cant seem to find a new sending unit for a fuel injected car. Is there a tank that wouldn't require me to have a new filler neck welded on? Also Im pretty sure the TBI set up should be able to lock up my 2004r but does anyone know for sure?

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
You should buy the baffled tank to GN such as on gbodyparts.com, or elsewhere. You could also use a tank from 90s Cadillac Fleetwood, although some of those tanks are plastic. The trick is to use the intank style fuel pump and mount it IN the baffle so that your car can run w/ < 2 gallons of gas w/o stalls (convenience of daily driver). I can't recall the sending unit you will need, but one you could use is from 90s Silverado w/ the 350 tbi, which obviously has the in-tank fuel pump set-up as well. It is virtually impossible to get reliability out of the tbi setup without doing the in-tank fuel pump inside the baffled tank setup. If you don't want to have problems with an aftermarket tank, don't touch it w/o gloves on and paint it krylon black matte. I bet it never rusts out after that.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
Just my opinion but stay away from the TBI. I swampedmy truck over to carb that was ooriginally TBI
And it starts better and runs stronger.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
You should buy the baffled tank to GN such as on gbodyparts.com, or elsewhere. You could also use a tank from 90s Cadillac Fleetwood, although some of those tanks are plastic. The trick is to use the intank style fuel pump and mount it IN the baffle so that your car can run w/ < 2 gallons of gas w/o stalls (convenience of daily driver). I can't recall the sending unit you will need, but one you could use is from 90s Silverado w/ the 350 tbi, which obviously has the in-tank fuel pump set-up as well. It is virtually impossible to get reliability out of the tbi setup without doing the in-tank fuel pump inside the baffled tank setup. If you don't want to have problems with an aftermarket tank, don't touch it w/o gloves on and paint it krylon black matte. I bet it never rusts out after that.

I read that the aftermarket tanks had trouble venting, mostly during fill ups at a gas station, and that the baffles aren't done as well. But most of the posts I read were at least 10 years old. So who knows if the manufacturers have gotten them sorted out now. I was hoping someone would have some experience.

Weren't the Monte Carlos, and Grand Prix with the 4.3 designed for the same style tank, and weren't 4.3's TBI? Otherwise what about the Grand National they were all injected to. Couldn't I get the sending unit from one of them? I think they had in tank pumps mounted to the sending unit right?

But on ebay and rock auto they dont list the sending units for the fuel injected cars.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
The tank and pump from an GN or Turbo Regal has the in-tank pump and sender. I have an 84 Turbo Regal with a 383 sbc that I ran my carb with a bypass regulator so I could return the excess pressure and fuel back to the tank originally. It now has a F.A.S.T. TBI unit on it and back to running it as a FI setup. I upgraded to the in-tank Racetronic Pump/Sender combo when my factory pump died about 2 years ago

The -AN setup:

FPS-G7RXP255AN

The factory style setup:

FPS-G7RXP255 -

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
www.tbichips.com don't do TBI unless you get a complete grasp how it works first. The monte carlo did not come with TBI, but box Blazer / Jimmy w/ the digital dash did until 92.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I understand the desire to use the parts just because you already have them. In regards to previous posts, CWP knows what he's talking about and as usual, Pencero is mostly spewing gibberish. Personally, I'd forgo the TBI and just get a proper Quadrajet and then use a standalone lockup kit for the 200-4R. That would be the least complicated way to get on the road. The TBI system will not likely give you any performance advantage over a properly tuned carb. If you really just want to run a TBI system you might consider a Holley Projection system. It's totally tunable without needing to burn chips and doesn't require any special distributor modifications. Also, it's designed to use an inline external pump so you wouldn't need to change your tank if you don't want to. Good luck with you project.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I wish a guy would tell me I was 'spewing gibberish' in person. I bet he would walk away chewing on his own teeth. I really did own a 350 tbi for a long time. I dare you to ever imply I logged on here bored to type bs at myself again. Everything I just said about tbi was based on real life experience; but I will agree with you about one thing I was trying to avoid which is that it was admittedly a bad experience. That doesn't mean tbi is 'bad'; I probably approached tbi without enough knowledge and missed some important detail. That's why I didn't give any specific details on anything. But if I'm spewing gibberish catch a plane then f-----t. You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
If you really want to go TBI. Get a tank and sending unit from a 4.3 TBI Monte.
You can also take the wiring harness and ecu. If you have a parts car.
If not a truck harness and ecu will do the same. No doubt you will need a custom
Chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor