Question about adding TBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I can tell you the Regal tank will fit a Cutlass as long as it isn't a wagon. I can not comment on quality or lack there of the aftermarket tanks since I have an original turbo Regal so I have the factory EFI tank. What do you mean by hanger? If you mean the pump/sending unit, then you can get stock replacement parts from RockAuto and upgraded pump and senders from RaceTronic, GBodyparts, and a few others.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Rockauto shows a complete tank with sending unit and pump for $319. Also a listing for pump and sending unit for $123. I looked it up as a 4.3 '86 Monte Carlo.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Parts Plus +++ sells an $8-10 sending unit that will hardwire in, if you can find a parts plus location

gearhedjon

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2012
oak forest IL
Parts Plus +++ sells an $8-10 sending unit that will hardwire in, if you can find a parts plus location
I had an 86 Monte with the 4.3 liter. As far as a carb being better I would say no. What if you travel with the car? TBI automatically adjusts the fuel/air mixture. Faster start up, just turn the key. Still fires up even after sitting for months. Quick warm up. Carb choke cycle is longer. Quicker warm up with the heated O2 sensor if you were to add it. Gas mileage will be better as the computer will try to keep the optimum fuel air ratio. What about rainy humid day"s? TBI dosen"t care. No parts to go bad in throttle body unit. No vapor lock. When running the TBI set up all you need is the stock TBI pump. Run 1 wire from the fuse box to the pump and your all set. I have a Buick Gran National tank I installed in my Cutlass. It fits but the filler neck is not centered. I put a large pry bar in the neck and pulled it down to center it. As far as using a Monte tank in a Cutlass I don"t have an answer for you. There are performance parts for the TBI unit as well. A simple system that works quite well. John

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
-Tank- GN or 4.3 TBI monte.
-Pump and hanger from the same TBI monte of GN.
-Get the 7747 ECM from wherever. You could use the 350 TB, but a 454 TB would be better. (but would need to tune)
-The adapter for the intake is important, since you would need to assure the throttle bracket bolts up correctly to keep the right geometry for the 2004r.

I believe you could use the CCC distributer for the olds, I can't remember the module pinout or part number off hand, but the CCC distributers had no mechanical advance, and was controlled by the CCC ECM, which you need. Though, you could do a fuel only TBI.

TBI is fine, some people don't like it or can't tune it. I can tune it and went to the EBL from dynamicefi since it is a superior ECM. I ran it on my wagon for years, ran 12.8's on 17" wheels with a sniff of spray, horrible 2.0 60'. got great gas mileage. The engine was similar to the Vortec 330, but with a huge cam, forged coated pistons, 10:1 (a little more) compression. The throttle body is the limiting factor in making power. But with a tune, the BBC TB, 90lb/hr injectors, vacuum adjustable fuel pressure regulator (I ran 30 psi of FP WOT), some other small mods, you can make 400 horse reliably. That engine revved faster, idle smoother and a lower RPM, and got better gas mileage than with a carb.

If you want to make more power, you need a bigger TB with more injector.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have PMed him. If he has the knowledge to custom tune, it should run great. I basically turned up the idle and it runs near perfect in closed loop. Of course that was adding around 20 degrees of base timing. Closed loop idles rough, no doubt the spark and fuel tables need adjusting. Never stalls out though and allows command start in the winter. The big bore tbi equals the Qjet in performance and have the fuel pressure cranked up to 14 psi. I may be getting slight popping back through the TBI, hard to tell over the roar, similar to a Qjet. It will spin the fairly big 265/75R16 tires on dry pavement.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I have PMed him. If he has the knowledge to custom tune, it should run great. I basically turned up the idle and it runs near perfect in closed loop. Of course that was adding around 20 degrees of base timing. Closed loop idles rough, no doubt the spark and fuel tables need adjusting. Never stalls out though and allows command start in the winter. The big bore tbi equals the Qjet in performance and have the fuel pressure cranked up to 14 psi. I may be getting slight popping back through the TBI, hard to tell over the roar, similar to a Qjet. It will spin the fairly big 265/75R16 tires on dry pavement.

I was just reading your post, you say it runs great in closed loop, but then say it idles rough in closed loop. What do you mean?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It kind of acts like the choke
is stuck part way on. My understanding is the motor runs of less inputs and preset spark and fuel tables. Remember this is a 8.5 to 1 Olds 350 with a 204/214 cam.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
It kind of acts like the choke
is stuck part way on. My understanding is the motor runs of less inputs and preset spark and fuel tables. Remember this is a 8.5 to 1 Olds 350 with a 204/214 cam.

The cam doesnt sound all that crazy, so is it more the tune thats the issue? Also did you keep all the sensors? So it does really run rough even in closed loop?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
All the stock sensors. Runs perfect in closed loop. The idle has to be turned up, stock idle is maybe 500 rpm in gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor