Question about aluminum drums ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobM

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2016
Ozone Park Kid
I found a guy on craigslist that's selling $150 pair aluminum drums off a '86 Buick. G-body.
I'm waiting for pics so I can see them as well as post them so I can get other opinions.
Thanks, Rob

My questions are,
How much are they normally going for?
What should I look for (normal wear & tear) ?
Are they worth the money?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
My questions are,
How much are they normally going for?
What should I look for (normal wear & tear) ?
Are they worth the money?

How much are they normally going for? - I have sold several sets for anywhere from $120-$150
What should I look for (normal wear & tear) ? - The not to exceed, minimum inside drum diameter value is cast into the drum but many guys run them beyond the recommended value with no issues. Look for pitting and abnormal wear on the pad contact surfaces. The drums are aluminum but steel linings so they can rust and get ugly.
Are they worth the money? In my opinion yes. Anytime you can reduce unsprung weight it is a good thing. Aluminum drums will also reduce rotating mass which is a big deal. Some say reducing rotating mass by 10 lbs is equivalent to removing 100lbs from the car.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...ns-the-real-effect-of-rotating-weight.789990/

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Yeah for the money you can get a complete blazer rear disc setup with cash to spare

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Unless you want them because they are rare, they aren't worth $150 IMO. I have a set on my car, but because they've been on it since I bought it in 1994. No other reason. BTW, they also came on Camaro's for several years from 82-86

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I got lucky on my set afew years back, $50, I had the braking surface checked & a lite cut on the machine to make sure all is good. Mine still have a ton of life still in them.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Check the drum linings close for cracks. They also space the wheels out about 1/8" which helps with frame clearance with zero offset wheels and 275mm rear tires.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I'm waiting for pics so I can see them as well as post them so I can get other opinions.
Hopefully these are something that you can check out and verify in person before buying and not something you would be buying based solely off pictures and have shipped to you.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Put me in the same camp as the others. I've got them, found them cheap years ago. They are neat and lighter, and with the S10 manual wheel cylinders braking is good. Not sure about $150, that's alot of money for a little weight savings. I think the discs are heavier and really don't help with the braking...IMO

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Put me in the same camp as the others. I've got them, found them cheap years ago. They are neat and lighter, and with the S10 manual wheel cylinders braking is good. Not sure about $150, that's alot of money for a little weight savings. I think the discs are heavier and really don't help with the braking...IMO
I've actually compared stock for stock on a zq8 s10 and a reg s10 extreme. I preferred the zq8

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor