question about reinstalling map light

Status
Not open for further replies.

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
'86 Cutlass Supreme

I am attempting to reinstall the map light, I was not the one who removed the headliner & light so I don't understand what I am seeing as compared to the Body Service Manual, specifically what is the function of the three rods hanging from the light support?
  • The manual does not show them
  • They appear to be long rivets
  • The rods line-up with holes in the base plate for the map light but I don't see a way to secure the base plate to the light support

20201031_130218.jpg

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
'86 Cutlass Supreme

I am attempting to reinstall the map light, I was not the one who removed the headliner & light so I don't understand what I am seeing as compared to the Body Service Manual, specifically what is the function of the three rods hanging from the light support?
  • The rods line-up with holes in the base plate for the map light but I don't see a way to secure the base plate to the light support

View attachment 161126

They’re not rivets, they in fact thread into the roof support. Coarse thread, should accept a 7mm wrench IIRC. They are what mount the light, there are supposed to be a type of speed nut that looks like a washer with slots cut in it that pushes onto those studs after the headliner and light are installed.

I don’t have any pictures of them, but they’re really quite small and can be easily lost or misplaced.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
those are sometimes called push nuts.ive seen them at my local hardware store too

Reactions: 4 users

Peter P.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 4, 2014
Castleton, Ontario, Canada
'86 Cutlass Supreme

View attachment 161126
Should be 3 pushon speed nuts. Attached picture shows the fasteners from a light removed from my 84 Cutlass parts car.

Attachments

• IMG_5677.JPG
    IMG_5677.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_5676.JPG
    IMG_5676.JPG
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 204
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Tack puller and side cutters, they come right off

Plus, I don't keep them long enough to put 2 headliners in one. :LOL:

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor