Question about the 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChevyIIMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2005
Question about the 3.8L 2bbl

On the passenger side of the carb there is a small gold item that has a vac hookup and looks like it should be attached to the choke. The rod from it runs near the choke rod and can push on it but doesnt every time. I will get pictures in the morning for you.

The car seems to fast idl really fast also. How can you adjust that on these carbs?

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
the short answer is with a hammer.

i have a 85 GP with a 3.8 and its a PITA. i've also had the same problem, it would idle too fast and for no reason. not sure why it did that but if you pushed down on the arm the idle went down to where it was suppose to be. now i have the opposite problem it doesnt idle high enough on cold starts.

i've given up trying to figure out the dualjet, it is a mysterious annoying POS that will only aggravate you and make you waste money. put on a q-jet with a 4.1 intake and call it a day.

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
On the drivers side of the carburator, towards the front of that side, there is a tiny nut. Maybe a 1/8th, maybe 3/16th, can't remember. That is your idle adjustment "screw." If you're having choke trouble, on the passenger side of the carb, towards the front, there is a little arm with a screw and spring assembly. Tightening or loosing it should adjust your choke, that is, unless it has become inoperable. And the way I understand it, that would be a vacuum issue (not sure though, new at this stuff.) Cold start problems are usually choke related if the carb is the problem. Idle is simple enough to figure out. I've read alot of flack being tossed at the dualjet, and there are some bad models of it. You may have a loser. Mine has been okay since I got it properly adjusted. Also, don't forget that on a 6 cylinder that there is more vibration which often causes a carburator to work loose. A loose carb won't work right. Sorry, thats all I know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor