question about the Edelbrock Endurashine

Status
Not open for further replies.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
That hole is there from Edelbrock. The Performer is very small runner intake, the factory iron intakes are larger. The 7111 is the better intake to run. It is still a decent intake. That sounds like a very healthy 403, it should liquify the tires. Curious what parts are inside. What heads are on it?
I’ll find out tonight. Taking the heads off to get a couple of broken manifold bolts out plus want to see what cam and pistons are in it.

Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Not trying to hijack this post, but does anyone here know exactly what the Endurashine coating is? Is it some kind of ceramic coating, or is it something different?

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
That hole is there from Edelbrock. The Performer is very small runner intake, the factory iron intakes are larger. The 7111 is the better intake to run. It is still a decent intake. That sounds like a very healthy 403, it should liquify the tires. Curious what parts are inside. What heads are on it?
Well i'm officially stumped on this one. Pulled everything apart last night.... Bottom end looks stock. Pistons look like they have been replace, but stock bore size and a little cross hatch still in the cylinder walls.... Heads do not look to be milled at all, but i'll be checking them to see what cc they are. The time chain has a loooot of slop in it and the gear is actually one of the GM nylon coated timing gears. Also found one of the Rocker arm bridges broken.... i'm stumped on how the compression test showed so high, unless i have a faulty gauge. but with that being said, it will be freshened with a light hone, check the bearings, new rings, i have a new w31 cam and lifters, as well as a new timing set. it will get cleaned up, painted, bagged and set aside for another project. Dont want to take a huge power loss swapping from LS to the 403. I'll be on the hunt for either a built engine or just wait till I can afford to build this one.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That is crazy, sounds like a defective gauge. Yeah, do the cam swap. Either 64 to 72 330/350 heads or the new 68 Edelbrock heads coming out this Summer would bump compression up a point and flow better, the Edelbrock 50 cfm more intake and exhaust over those 4A heads. Of course that Performer intake will probably just cover the bigger BBO sized Edelbrock ports. Just shows, you can't trust someone's word. Good thing you paid the right price for it.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
When you go to do the cleaning, sacrifice a couple of tooth brushes to use as scrubbing tools to get the soap or the simple green into the pores and get the crud out. You can get nylon bristle brushes from the cheap bin at Napa but the toothie versions work just as well.

Caution: don't do the scrubbing and then try to sneak the toothbrushes back into the holder in the bathroom! You will hear about it!!!!

Nick

• Haha

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
That is crazy, sounds like a defective gauge. Yeah, do the cam swap. Either 64 to 72 330/350 heads or the new 68 Edelbrock heads coming out this Summer would bump compression up a point and flow better, the Edelbrock 50 cfm more intake and exhaust over those 4A heads. Of course that Performer intake will probably just cover the bigger BBO sized Edelbrock ports. Just shows, you can't trust someone's word. Good thing you paid the right price for it.
I actually found a set of #5 heads, i'm going to pick up today. Was planning on getting the head bolts drilled and then get the valves from the 4A heads installed. Still deciding on cam though. I have a new W31 cam thats been sitting on the shelf for several years, but thinking I may want something a little better.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Sweet, yeah do the 2" intake valve, multiple angle valve job with bowls opened with a cutter, new guides where necessary, positive seals and milled for the desired compression ratio. With a 60cc chamber, you would be at 9.5 to 1. The extra 53ci should help with vacuum which required manual brakes on a W31 powered 350. Running the HEI with more initial might also help with low vacuum. Get enough stall if you do run it.

Reactions: 1 user

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Sweet, yeah do the 2" intake valve, multiple angle valve job with bowls opened with a cutter, new guides where necessary, positive seals and milled for the desired compression ratio. With a 60cc chamber, you would be at 9.5 to 1. The extra 53ci should help with vacuum which required manual brakes on a W31 powered 350. Running the HEI with more initial might also help with low vacuum. Get enough stall if you do run it.
Thanks for the info! I was wondering if i should shave then anymore. Just can’t decide if i want to use the w31 cam or go with something else

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You can CC them first, see where they are at, probably 68cc or so. What stal and rear do you have?

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor