Question following a STUPID mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The other day I got under my El Camino to disconnect the starter wires (here's the STUPID mistake) I forgot to disconnect the battery. The ratchet touched something it shouldn't have and sparked. Now my ignition does nothing when I turn the key except seeing the radio lights go off. The battery is new and hooked up to a Battery Tender. Now the ??? , what did I damage or destroy? As I've said before I'm a bodyman not a mechanic, guess I shouldn't attempt mechanics without a mechanics supervision. LOL

The other day I got under my El Camino to disconnect the starter wires (here's the STUPID mistake) I forgot to disconnect the battery. The ratchet touched something it shouldn't have and sparked. Now my ignition does nothing when I turn the key except seeing the radio lights go off. The battery is new and hooked up to a Battery Tender. Now the ??? , what did I damage or destroy? As I've said before I'm a bodyman not a mechanic, guess I shouldn't attempt mechanics without a mechanics supervision. LOL
Check for a fusable link in the wires near the alternator. I've done the same thing long ago on an S-10

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I thought there was a fuseable link down by the starter. But yeah, that's where I'd be looking first.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If the fusible links burnt there would be no power going to the dash. Since the lights go on and go off when the key is turned indicates a bad connection and/or battery. I shorted the B connection on the starter long enough to melt the side post right off my battery. I changed the connector on the battery cable for a top post and used the top post on the burned battery. Car started right up.

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
IIRC, the fusible link for the ignition switch is one of the two at the starter. The other is blower high. The one at the alternator should be charge to the battery.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
fuseable links are at the starter on our cars. i've never seen a fuseable at the alt on our cars. begin there and let us know.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I changed the fusable links to the starter and even replaced the one year old battery under warranty. NO CHANGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor