Question for a concept i came up with for my current project

Status
Not open for further replies.

r4in420

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2009
Hello I'm new to this forum and i haven't posted in a wile but i have a 1986 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme brougham that has been in my grandma's garage for some time. It had 30,000 miles on it when i got it with everything original on it but unfortunately my son drove it for a couple months and ended up crashing it and destroying the whole front end. i have all the regular front end pieces for it but before i get it painted i would like to have a couple of my questions asked. Wile i was in the process of buying the new front end clip for the car i was told that a Monte Carlo hood from around the same year would fit with the Oldsmobile cutlass fenders and header. Now here's where my question comes in Since they are both G bodies would the same header from a Monte Carlo around the same year fit on the front of it? the reason i ask is i found one for cheap and would like to investigate it to see if it was possible to use it. Thank you for your time and help it is very much appreciated.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
If you were to use the monte hood I would also use the front clip/header. The hood on the cutlass is recessed and so is the top of the header panel. This would save a lot of body work trying to match the monte hood with the top of the cutlass header.

I couldn't tell you if it's a direct swap, but it for sure can be done with a little effort

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Monte hood won't fit a Cutlass nose.
You can't put a Monte header panel on Cutlass fenders, the front edges of the fenders are different.
If you did swap the whole front clip including fenders, they won't line up with the body lines on the doors.
Swapping noses like that is a big can of worms to open...

A 2 door Regal front clip will work on a 2 door Cutlass body and vise/versa.

Stick with the Cutlass sheetmetal and save yourself the trouble.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
a guy on here swapped an f body front end on a cutlass if I remember right, I'm sure it's a lot of work but it can be done (and less work than swapping an f body front clip)

but I agree with blake, just find a nice header & hood and call it a day

r4in420

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2009
almighty thanks for the help guys i think im going to just buy a 1985 Monte Carlo front clip with a hood because a local person is selling one in almost perfect condition for 100$ i take some time and see if it looks good and if not ill stick with the cutlass parts and resell the Monte Carlo ones.

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
if you use the monte doghouse, youll have to use monte doors too. wont line up with the cutlass doors at all. and im not sure how good the monte doors will look against the quarters. just use a cutlass front end :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor